Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / WELDING RANGE
- - By JE JACOBSS (*) Date 03-18-2009 03:12
I WAS TOLD BY A WELDER NOT TO RUN ON THE "SPECIAL APPLICATION" RANGE ON THE FINE TUNING, SOME ONE WHO REPAIRED HIS CLASIC 300 TOLD HIM THAT??? ANY BODY KNOW ANYTHIN ABOUT THAT THANKS
Parent - - By rick harnish (***) Date 03-18-2009 04:09
I consistantly run a 1/8 5p root in third at 40 or there about depending on pipe size and fit.Never miss a beat. Any time I need to push thru a tight fit I catch a gear in the same basic range. Its good down there. What is the reasoning? Honestly curious, not being an ass.
Parent - - By JE JACOBSS (*) Date 03-19-2009 03:04
hey whats up rick, i was looking for an answer myself, the guy said his machine was giving him problems, and the guy who fixed it told him to stay out the range, i myself dont know the reason. i thought some one else knew somthing about it!!!!!!
Parent - - By ESC300 (**) Date 03-19-2009 03:37
I have a classic 300d-I was told to stay out of that range,dont know why.Sometimes on 5p I run on 45 anyway
Parent - - By rick harnish (***) Date 03-19-2009 03:52
Man, Im always in that range for 1/8 5p. My machine may blow up tomorrow because of it, I dont know. I can say 3rd and 40 -45 is perfect for a normal gap. The bead falls in without effort.
Maybe Presidential hopeful Kaye Sellon can clue us in to any chance of the alledged problem.
Parent - By B.acosta (**) Date 03-21-2009 03:34
talk to tom fowler he'll know!
Parent - By rick harnish (***) Date 03-19-2009 03:52 Edited 03-19-2009 03:56
I just dont see how it can harm the machine. The engine is working to pull that the same as it would at a lower gear with a higher setting. As said, if its a problem, I aint hit it yet. Tell us Kaye!!
Parent - By rick harnish (***) Date 03-19-2009 03:57 Edited 03-19-2009 04:01
Howdy! Dang it! Thats twice Ive tried to respond directly to Mr. Jacobss, first time I just rambled some more. Anyway, Hi ! Hope we can resolve this issue, cause Im curious and want to hear some solid reasoning.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 03-19-2009 05:24
Hello JE Jacobs, I am not an expert on the specifics of Lincoln welding machines, however, I can tell you that the ranges and such that you folks are discussing are relative to bead performance and I don't believe have a major bearing on machine longevity. The only other anology that I would introduce into this thread might go like this: when vehicles with automatic transmissions and over-drives were first introduced onto the automotive scene way too many people didn't consider the limitations of running in the over-drive modes under certain highway conditions, this lack of education caused many transmission failures. In the case of your machines and the suggestions that were made to you, I too would be interested to know the reasoning for these suggestions. As I mentioned in my opening statement, the reasons for these adjustment choices are generally based on how the weld metal reacts when subjected to specific electrical conditions, ie, volt/amp relationships, volt/current curves, and other electrical specific characteristics. So, if there is some specific mechanical/electrical issue that this could cause I would definitely like to know what it is and why it is supposed to cause a problem. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-20-2009 03:04
    Allan, I must agree with You. If for some reason it is harmful to the machine to use a particular range at about 1/3 of the machines rated capacity, someone at Lincoln didn't do their homework, and I doubt that.
Parent - - By JE JACOBSS (*) Date 03-20-2009 03:08
i agree with u all!!!!!!!
Parent - By rick harnish (***) Date 03-20-2009 21:50
Still gotta wonder exactly what the reasoning is. Call him up!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / WELDING RANGE