Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Opinions on CWI
- - By jon20013 (*****) Date 03-18-2009 09:49
I never thought I'd be asking myself this question, but after 29 years of a CWI and an SCWI since the first year of inception... I'm thinking about letting it slide away; (renewal time again).  I haven't really been in a position to use the CWI or SCWI as a necessity for many years and am just wondering if the hassle and expense is worth it?  I'm overseas now and going through all the hoops and then paying $495.00 just makes me wonder if I will renew.  what's the thoughts?
Parent - By Ke1thk (**) Date 03-18-2009 11:05
I've judged the annual Skills USA competition in my area for many years.  I've known some of the judges for several years.  All of us are or were CWI's.  A few of them are retirees.  These welds could be the only welds they look at all year.  Some of them are consultants.  I wonder how much business they generate in a year? One CWI told me last year that he regretted letting his status expire.  He never thought GM would suffer (I'll find out in April if he's still there).  Now he has to re-take the entire three-test package. 

I consider it a privilege to be a CWI.  I love welding.  Almost everyday brings new challenges.  The costs are tax deductible for me. 

I'd try to use the knowledge more if I were you.  Volunteer.  Meet some people.  Get a few customers and consult.  Buy a welder and weld.  Try writing an article and submitting it to the Journal.  Or, let it go and move on.  

Good Luck,

Keith 
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 03-18-2009 13:02
Everyone I've talked to that has let theirs lapse has regretted it in the end.  I'd keep it if I were you, but that's just my .02.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 03-18-2009 13:40
Yeah, it's kind of a tough decision.... funny, I can't rremember my SCWI number without looking but can still rattle off that old CWI number... kinda sentimental ;-)
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-18-2009 13:57 Edited 03-18-2009 14:01
The advantage of letting it lapse is getting to take the test again should you need to get it again. Of course cost wise its better to keep it current unless your gonna stay out a full 3 years .

I think its something that would be more related to the industries you work in and the perception they have of being current. Though I have let mine drop in the past, I will probably keep it up this time.

I am one who has let theirs lapse and has not regretted it. I can't remember any regrets myself but don't remember my CWI number either. Or the two previous.
Parent - By flamin (**) Date 03-18-2009 17:23
I've only been a CWI since July of '08, and I still have alot to learn and experience as a CWI, but knowing how hard I worked to achieve a CWI status, I couldn't imagine just letting it go. Of course after 29 years, one's views and opinions change.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Opinions on CWI