Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / WELDING STUDENT JUST STARTED SCHOOL--ANSWERS/SUGGESTIONS????
- - By Dennis Vickery Jr. Date 03-18-2009 20:41 Edited 03-18-2009 21:11
I JUST STARTED A 90 DAY WELDING COURSE AT DELAWARE SKILLS CENTER IN WILMINGTON, DELAWARE. I HAVE A GREAT TEACHER, HOWEVER, ANY TIPS OR SUGGESTIONS ANYONE HAS WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. I GO TO SCHOOL 8 HOURS A DAY, 5 DAYS A WEEK!! MY TEACHER, AS I SAID, IS A VERY SMART, EXPERIENCED, WELDER, AND TEACHER. HE WANTS US TO GET THROUGH THE BOOKWORK AS FAST AS POSSIBLE, WHILE AT THE SAME TIME MAKING SURE WE LEARN EVERYTHING WE NEED TO LEARN TO BE GREAT WELDERS. WE START WELDING TOMORROW!! IT'S A WHOLE LOT OF INFORMATION TO REMEMBER AND MEMORIZE!! SO, I THOUGHT IT MAY BE A GOOD IDEA TO PRINT OUT THINGS LIKE A ELECTRODE CHART, AMPERAGE CHART, ETC. A BUNCH OF CHARTS THAT WILL BE USEFUL TO ME UNTIL I MEMORIZE ALL THE STUFF I NEED TO MEMORIZE, TO WELD RIGHT. THEN LAMINATE ALL THE CHARTS AND TAKE THEM WITH ME WHILE I WELD, AND EVERYWHERE TO STUDY THEM. ANYONE WHO HAS ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHERE I CAN GET SOME GOOD EASY TO UNDERSTAND CHARTS, PLEASE LET ME KNOW! IF YOU HAVE ANY YOU WOULDN'T MIND SHARING WITH ME, PLEASE SEND THEM TO ME!! I GUESS YOU COULD SEND THEM TO ME HERE. IF NOT, MY E-MAIL ADDRESS IS vickerydennis@yahoo.com, OR YOU COULD SEND IT TO ME ON MYSPACE.COM-- THIS IS MY URL
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=444587345. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR TIME AND ASSISTANCE!! IT'S GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

PS.- I CAN'T SEEM TO FIND THE AWS D1.1 ON HERE.?? AND THAT IS WHAT MY TEACHER IS USING TO GRADE OUR WORK???
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 03-18-2009 21:21
That is just to difficult to read. Could you not type in all cap in the future?
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 03-18-2009 21:24
welcome to the forum, you won't find D1.1 here, unless you want to buy it. and AWS is proud of it so it won't come cheap.
Most manufacturers will list the parameters of thier welding electrodes on thier websites.
another thing, its hard to read caps, so punctuate accordingly and drop the caps lock.
Good luck!
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 03-18-2009 21:58
First: Dennis Weldcome to the Forum.
Second: Stay out of the Off Topic Bar and Grill.  Its a mad house.  I am going to exile myself from there soon.
Third:  No caps lock please.  It makes me dizzy.
Forth:  Become one with the metal.  Practice, practice, practice!!!  The more rod/wire you burn the better you will get.  Eventually you can hear and feel if your machine is set properly.  But then again you will eventually have WPS that will dictate your settings (but that will come with time).
Fifth:  Your mySpace is not working, at least not for me.

I don't have any charts to laminate, but I guess you know your way around a computer so try this link.
http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/calculators/
You can choose which process, type of material and electrode size then it will give you a ball park figure.
Miller also sells a set of pocket welding calculators that might be what you are looking for.  I have never used
them before but Miller makes them so why not.  They are $1.50 a piece.  And they make a good stocking stuffer. :-)

As for the AWS D1.1:2008 $392 non AWS member, $286 AWS member plus Shipping.  I have 2 copies.  If you really want it PM me and we can work something out.
Good luck
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 03-19-2009 20:07 Edited 03-19-2009 20:15
Dennis,
Welcome to the forum. Just remember that 90 days will give you an overview and introduction into the welding field (ie. your probably not going to make the BIG bucks we so often hear about). Hopefully an opportunity to open the door to an entry level job and or inspire you to continue your education (which in the current down trend of the economy would be a plus). Cruise the archives of this forum and you will no doubt find answers to most of your questions.
Please ease off the caps lock. It gives me headaches and then voices from the Stygian depths taunt me.....
Good luck in your coursework!
Parent - By OBrien (***) Date 03-20-2009 00:32
You have every secert to welding that there is.  They are all in your hood and if you spend enough time in it you will find them.  Welding is not about numbers or charts its about how well you can read the puddle.  Learn the book work it will only help you become a better, smarter welder.  Put as much time in practicing as you can and pay as much attention as you can.  Memorizing charts can get you to caught up on numbers.  They are a good place to start but understand that what works for the people who wrote the charts won't always work for you.  You may be running 10 or more amps above their "reccomend" maxium heat.  Part of this could be your machine part of it can be the way in which you weld.

Good luck with school.  This is a great places to spend spare time and who knows maybe you might actually learn something here.  I know I have.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / WELDING STUDENT JUST STARTED SCHOOL--ANSWERS/SUGGESTIONS????