Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Eugene Oregon..
- - By DrmChld Date 03-19-2009 20:31
Hi,

I'm looking to be a welder.  I will be moving from Alberta Canada to Eugene Oregon and I am looking for a college or trade school that offers Welding training and certification.  I am looking for a school that offers fulltime courses that can guide me into certification without having to study for a year.

Are there any courses that offer book and hands on training that isn't a year long?

Thanks!
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-19-2009 21:08
You can certify as soon as you are able to pass the test...

However, the ability to pass a test does not in and of it self render you valuable to an employer.

If you have a particular employer in mind that uses a single process you can certainly take a class specifically for that process and have a few basic skills in less than a year.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 03-20-2009 13:21
DrmChld

"I am looking for a school that offers fulltime courses that can guide me into certification without having to study for a year."

Anything worth persuing is worth the effort to go for it all the way and strive to excell! Last night, I tested 2 welders that I'll refer to as 90 day wonders. They attended some 3 month training program and I'm here to tell ya, those coupons were uglier than Rosie O'Donnell in a Thong Bikini. I was bored and had nothing better to do than let them "practice"...OK, struggle...If by some miracle, they do pass X-ray, the foreman is maybe going to let them weld some non critical, miscellaneous, temporary stuff. And NO, they aint gonna make top money just because the test passed. Foreman don't want to deal with rework and I don't wish to write up all the reject reports.

Seems so many people these days think they can master a skill in "X" # of days. This just does not happen in the real world. It takes years! 90 days (refering to my testers yesterday) is barely long enough to learn how to not maim oneself with an end and angle grinder.
Please understand, I'm not trying to discourage you, but just approach this endeavour realistically.
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 03-20-2009 15:10
DrmChld,
I'm a little north of Eugene, but even up here there is not a lot of good schools for this. Linn-Benton community college is probably the best option for you. I'll post a link for you. The two year degree is pretty good, I know a few guys that took the course and ended up getting into inspection. It's a bit more than just welding they also include some metallurgy and your basic NDT classroom hours.

http://www.linnbenton.edu/index.cfm?objectid=3C584184-9F80-0D26-062EB2EB8FA13EAD&MajorsProgramsID=188
Parent - - By Oregon Jake (**) Date 03-22-2009 20:31
Up I5 from Eugene, Portland Community College has a huge welding program.  They'll give you a shop tour anytime.  Be aware though, it's normal to have about 200 people on the waiting list just to start classes.  It's a sweet weld shop.

http://www.pcc.edu/programs/welding/
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-01-2009 02:15
First off, Welcome to the AWS Forum DrmChld.

Been away from the family farm outside Oregon City for a long time, but as I remember, both Portland and Mount Hood Community College had pretty fair welding programs.  Even took some myself from PCC (Mmaaaannnyy years ago).  Hogan has the best info for the exact area you are in.  But without knowing why you are moving to Eugene it would be hard to recomend a school that would take you somewhere else.

Aevald (Allan) is over on the Washington side if you are tempted to move north of Eugene for school.

But I'm afraid my advice would parrot the others sentiments as far as trying to take a short class and go to work.  It takes time to get the experiences you really need to be a good employee at the chosen profession of welding.  Shade tree, self taught welders are a dime a dozen in this economy.  Well trained people are worth much better pay.  Then you just have to add personal work ethic, part of which is shown by taking the time, effort, and persistence to complete a good welding program.

Good Luck, Best Wishes. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Eugene Oregon..