Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Is GMAW-S prequalified in AWS D1.3?
- - By Kix (****) Date 03-20-2009 14:34
    I received a preq WPS from a vendor and as I was reviewing it, I saw that the process was GMAW-S.  So I went to the code and started looking to make sure.  In the list of welding processes per sec 3, it has, SMAW, GMAW, FCAW-G, FCAW-S, and GTAW, but no GMAW-S.  Above the processes it says (see 1.3.1) which gives you a list of acceptable processes that can be used with this code.  At the bottom of the clause, it says (Note: any variation of GMAW including short circuit transfer, is acceptable.  So I'm confused.

Thanks, Ray C.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 03-20-2009 14:58
Kix,
If you look at AWS D1.1 3.2.1 and 3.2.2 it lists GMAW-S. I believe that it is talking about the short circuiting process. Hope this helps.
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 03-20-2009 14:59
Sorry I just noticed that you were refering to D1.3, my refrence was D1.1
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-20-2009 15:10
Ray..

I don't have my copy in front of me today  (spring break)....  but I believe the "Note" including GMAW-S makes everything alright..

So long as the WPS data falls within the scope of D1.3

Short circuiting transfer is reliable on materials up to 1/8" eh?    D1.3 is a sheet metal code (structural) so they allow for any type of GMAW including Short circuiting transfer or Pulsed for that matter.  All lend themselves to thin materials.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 03-20-2009 15:58
Lawrence,

Thanks for your input!!  I'm sure whomever did there qualification was reading it the same way as you, I will read it the same way now.;-)  I just got confused because they had both FCAW-G and FCAW-S listed, but only GMAW for the processes in sec 3.
Parent - - By James Corbin (**) Date 03-24-2009 22:44
D1.3-08   1.3.1 Approved Processes (any variation of GMAW)
3.1 Written WPS ......Figures 3.1 - 3.2 - 3.3 Note the thickness limits sheet to sheet i.e. most limit you to T2 double the thickness of T1. T1 being the thinnest of 18ga to 7ga in 5 cases so pay attention. None include sheet to support. That would mean 14ga T1 welded to 14ga min & 10ga max as an example.

If you go outside the gage limits for each figure then do a PQR. (Figures 4.2C and 4.3C most bang for the buck if it fits your need)

When doing a PQR when possible note Table 4.2 - 10 e (10ga test) and also 4.7.2 (3 ii) a 10ga test which could reduce the amount of your testing.
For spot welding note table 4.2 - 12 (add primer even if you don't need it) and some great math in the commentary C2 design for keeping fusion nugget size.

Hope this helps direct your code search
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 03-25-2009 12:56
Yes!!  Thank you very much James!  That was very helpful and will go into my bag O tricks. ;-)
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Is GMAW-S prequalified in AWS D1.3?