Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / UT Testing 6" material
- - By Tim Murphy Date 03-20-2009 15:27
I have a 6" full penn butt splice (A572-Gr 65) I am testing in accordance with Procedure Legend 11 out of the AWS D1.1-06 Code (ststic criteria). I have found a -3 indication 12 inches long in the 70 degree zone (definded by procedure) with a 45 degree surch unit, but can not see with a 70 degree transducer, This indication is not a base metal-weld metal interface indication. Is this indication rejectable?
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 03-20-2009 16:44
Tim,
It appears that note F is applicable.
Parent - - By Tim Murphy Date 03-20-2009 18:07
The problem with note F is that it states that the indication needs to be in the weld metal base metal interface.  The configuration of this joint is they weld 2/3 of the plate thickness then flip the plate over and backgouge down to sound metal.  This ends up being about 1/2 way through the plate.  The indication is in the center of the root on top of the original weld material in the center of the weld.  I had my co-worker confirm my measurements and he came out with the same measurements as I did.  He thinks that since they backgouge to sound material that the original weld material can now be considered base material.  I think that this is a slag indication since others found in this zone have been escavated and found to be such.
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 03-20-2009 18:44
I would still consider note f applicable, at one time during the welding of this joint this area was a weld metal- base metal interface. Also, with what information you have added, would note 3 on table 6.3 come into play? To back gouge half way through the weld seems more like a double groove than just a back gouge. I don't agree that once a B.G. is done that the first half of the weld in considered base metal. To me note f is applicable and there should be no reason to not get this in the first leg, thus no question.
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 03-21-2009 02:01 Edited 03-21-2009 02:10
I'm with Hogan, weld metal does not become base metal, and I agree that you should be able to see some of that indication with the 70° unless the orientation is really unusual. 

Is this joint a double-v-groove weld or a double-bevel-groove weld?  (On thick joints, I often see welders "improve" the factory bevel(s) to suit their personal preference)

Are you shooting it from both directions?

Did you try hitting it with a 60°?

What characteristics lead you to conclude this is a slag line?

Did you ask if there were any repairs made during welding that would have altered the factory bevel?

~thirdeye~
Parent - - By Maxpayne575 (*) Date 03-21-2009 02:08
I agree, it's very unusual that a slag line will not be visible from either direction using a 70deg angle. From the info given so far, I would reject it.
Parent - By thirdeye (***) Date 03-21-2009 02:11
picture added...
Parent - - By Tim Murphy Date 03-21-2009 10:57
Yes I see indication with a 70 degree transducer on both sides of weld and sides "A & B" but very small (not rejectable using Table 6.2),

My dilemma is, indication is rejectable with a 45 transducer "but in a 70 degree zone (according to Table 6.7) but not rejectable with a 70. Do I reject this weld with a 45 being in a 70 degree zone or do I keep area of concern in accordance with a 70 degree transducer?
Parent - - By supermoto (***) Date 03-21-2009 12:42
Sounds like F applies because there is weld metal that interfaces with the base metal.  I guess maybe it doesn't totally apply due to you saying that the indication isn't exactly where they interface.

We are taught to go by the code book.  Sounds like you are looking at a #11 so that it means that the top quarter is with a 45 from opposite of face "A" and the *note applies.  Also the bottom quarter with a 45 from face "A".  If you see the indications in these zones and large enough then they are rejectable.  Not too clear on what the *note means.

I posted up a similar topic and seems like everyone was in agreement.  Even if you see an indication in a quarter that a particular angle is picking up something and you are not supposed to be evaluating than you just ignore it and document it.

But, what do I know I am just a level I trying to learn here also.
Parent - By Bert70 (*) Date 03-24-2009 05:49
Supermoto,
The single * refers to the "secondary" procedure(s), the second column under each material thickness range in Table 6.7. For example "F or XF" for a > 5" to 6 1/2" T-joint, where the "primary" procedure is 11.
-Bert
Parent - - By Bert70 (*) Date 03-24-2009 05:38
Tim,
Note F only applies to weld metal/base metal interface. The root of the first side does not count as base metal.
There is a reason that the 45° criteria does not apply in the middle half... it is over sensitive. Use the 70° criteria and just note the indication (length, depth, location...) as acceptable to Table 6.2 on your report.
I have an old article or D1.1 interpretation addressing this and will try to dig it up for you.
-Bert
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 03-24-2009 12:38
Hi Bert,
If you do find that article, I'd be interested in reading it as well.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 03-24-2009 21:50
Bill M,
I believe that this is the interpretation the was referenced. Although you will need a copy of AWS D1.1 prior to 1996 to follow the references listed. I believe that the 1981 edition was used in this interpretation.

http://files.aws.org/technical/interps/d1-sut.pdf
Parent - By Bert70 (*) Date 03-25-2009 04:14
Thanks hogan. Yes that is the interpretation.
-Bert
Parent - - By Tim Murphy Date 03-24-2009 19:41
Hey Bert,

Bingo, a clear answer. I kind of figured that was the answer, I got into a lot of disputes over this one (from level II's) making me doubt myself. It turns out I did except the piece yesterday.
If you could find that article that would be great I can use it when I get audited.

Thanx, Tim
Parent - By Bill M (***) Date 03-25-2009 17:52
Hogan,
Thanks for posting the interpretation.
I know it will come up again here as well.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / UT Testing 6" material