Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Canadian Saferty Courses
- - By noremac (*) Date 03-23-2009 09:33
Hey all,

I Was over in Canada for a couple months at the start of the year was looking to stay and work but it never really happend because of a few reasons, but i would like to head back over possibly by the end of the year sometime, hopefully by then things mights have picked up and there will be a few more jobs on offer, one of the many reasons i couldnt stay and work was because nearly all the jobs on offer required me to undertake some sort of safety course, i would like it if someone in the know could possibly explain these to me in further detail...

H2S ALive -
(I know you can take this course at some sort of training institue is it easy to get into and complete.?, and what do u get after completing the course.?)

WHMIS -
(Ive come across some websites that say u can do the course online does that sound legit.?)

Im pretty sure i have the australian equivilent of both of these, but  trying figure out how to transfer them over is much too hard, so id rather just do them in canada.
any help appreciated. thanks, cameron
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 03-23-2009 11:08
Noremac:

If you go to this thread, you will find links to the CWA/CWB. By emailing them, you can find out what courses are available on line and what institutions are recognized for certification.

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=100470;hl=
Parent - By Nitesky (**) Date 03-24-2009 00:21
Wimpus has to be taken again after a year so it is just best to git er done.  Takes a couple of hours at best.

The other one, I have never heard of it.
Parent - - By hurricunning (*) Date 03-24-2009 18:58 Edited 03-24-2009 19:01
As far as I know H2S Alive is required on all Oil and Gas sites where there is a possibility for H2S gas.   Most if not all of the larger contractors have made it a mandatory for anyone on their jobs sites to have it.  It is a good course too and will really open your eyes to some uncommonly known workplace hazards and may in fact save your life one day.  Looks like Enform,  the governing body (link below) offers this one online too.  I have refreshed this course several times and as much as I hate stuffy class time for material I think I know, I always come away from that course with a couple of things that I have forgotten about.  They usually have some old salty dog teaching it that has some good if not frightening stories of H2S exposures.  You may be able to get a credit for your Aussie course if it was recent enough.

WHMIS is also mandatory on most jobs sites.  Easy to do online and pretty much anyone you take is sure to be valid.  TDG (Transoprtation of Dangerous Goods) is sometimes included in that one.

CSTS is a very basic construction safety course and is getting to be mandatory on that larger sites in Alberta and I think also BC and Sask are heading that way too.  Very easy to do online.

Many of the larger sites have their own in-house in house safety orientations as well as share an OSSA basic site safety course.

http://www.enform.ca/students/courses_calendar/CourseSearch.aspx

Cheers,
Chris
Parent - By noremac (*) Date 03-25-2009 09:23
thanks for that, all great infomation there.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Canadian Saferty Courses