Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / WELDING POWER SOURCE CALIBRATION AS PER AWS D 1.1
- - By akilan Date 03-23-2009 11:26
I am having a requirement that all my welding machines to be calibrated as per AWS D1.1. But I couldn't find any reference to the Calibration of welding powersources in AWS D 1.1. Could anyone help me on this requirement. Many Thanks.
Parent - - By Nanjing Date 03-24-2009 14:41
I had a quick look through AWS D1.1 and could not find anything (maybe in a different code). How about BS 7570 for validation of welding equipment?
Parent - - By Ke1thk (**) Date 03-24-2009 15:55
I don't know about the actual Code reference, but I know a little.  I call my welding supply, whose ISO certified, and they measure the electrical parameters of my welders against a meter.  The meter is calibrated against a device known values that comply with NIST (I think).  They perform the tests and documents for $85 per machine.  Most codes are annual, but some are quarterly.

I've seen do-it-yourself procedures online from Miller.  I don't know enough measuring electricity to do-it-myself. 

The bottom line is that the welders need calibration as well as the device that measures them.  

Good Luck,

Keith
Parent - By Steve.E (**) Date 03-26-2009 08:54
  $85 per machine... man I'm in the wrong game.  :)
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 03-24-2009 16:06
Is there another code involved (AISC?) or is it just to AWS D1.1?
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 03-25-2009 01:18
Nothing specific to calibrate to like tolerances or anything but 5.11 Welding and Cutting Equipment states 'All welding and thermal cutting equipment shall be so designed and manufactured, and shall be in such condition, as to enable designated personnel to follow the procedures and attain the results described elsewhere in this code.' Like I said, nothing specific but it is a requirement for function-ability.
Parent - - By Nanjing Date 03-29-2009 03:25
To do it properly you need to use a load cell.
Parent - - By Nalla (***) Date 04-03-2009 21:10
Akilan
Yes. time to time auditors ask this question.I show to them Verification Record only. They have accepted.
No code mandatoriliy require calibration. Only thing has to ensure the AC/DC Clampmeter calibrated to measure actual output agiainst setting.In my workshop normally these machines verified 6months once to confirm good working condirion. Stickers are placed on each SAW/FCAW/SMAW machines showing actual x setting Parameters . As long as welder carryout the job as per WPS, the weldment should be fine.To my experience, very rarely come across welder exceeding parameters shown n WPS which shows Amp X Volt. ranges.

As long as fabrication shop and QC carry out close monitoring on daily basis, the end product will certainly meet requirements. In my opinion dont get too worked out on these "calibration" issue.

Best Regards.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 04-05-2009 13:15
Akilan; Calibration of welding machines USED to be a requirement of AWS D1.1 but that requirement was removed back in the early 1980's.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / WELDING POWER SOURCE CALIBRATION AS PER AWS D 1.1