Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Neat "zero radius" turn forklift.....
- - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-24-2009 13:00
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Ultimate-forklift_198234.htm
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 03-24-2009 13:12
John,
  I posted on these awile back. They are sure neat. I would love to get a few minutes on one to run it through the paces. There have been many times in the past when this would have been great to have. :-)

jrw159
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 03-24-2009 14:29
it's called a mecanum wheel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mecanum_wheel

similar to an omniwheel

apparently recently the bought the patent so that they could use them to make forklifts, it actually does seem like a good application, albeit they are notoriously inefficient
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 03-25-2009 00:18
I need one. I'm always trying to get 20 foot lengths inside to the saw. Anyone hazard a guess on Price?
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 03-25-2009 01:38 Edited 03-25-2009 02:29
Hello Stringer, do you have access through the shop with a cart? Many shops I have been in will use carts to bring beams and such in to their saws. The carts are the types that have an axle in the middle with a set of heavy wheels on it and then on each end they will have a swivel caster that is set up slightly higher than the other one, in that way whether the cart is tipping forward or back you will always have the center axle contacting the ground and one of the swivel casters at one of the ends. They also have a bunk type of set-up on them that allows a forklift to get under the parts, they may also have fixed or removable side posts to keep stuff from rolling off. Best regards, Allan

Edit: I have included a sketch of the type of cart that I mentioned. You may be well aware of this sort of thing, or you may already have something that you use, if so, possibly others might gain from this or get some ideas or share them. Sorry about side-tracking the thread folks.
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 03-29-2009 20:59
Yep. That's a great cart design and I've used them. I'm sure they are more cost effective than an Air Trax!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Neat "zero radius" turn forklift.....