Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / Respirator Filters for GALVANIZED ?
- - By awspartb (***) Date 03-25-2009 01:18
I will be doing some demo work and I'm wondering what 3M filter to use for demolition torch cutting of a tank that has a THICK coat of zinc (galvanizing) on it. 

It's indoors and ventilation will be a problem.

Some of the older guys say it's not an issue but I've gotten very sick from the fume fever in the past.  Need some suggestions fast.  Thanks.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-25-2009 13:23 Edited 03-25-2009 13:33
I replied in yout other thread about the 3M #8514, made for welding on galv.....

http://www.sentrysafetysupply.com/display_product_1671/3M-Particulate-Respirator-8514-N95-with-Nuisance-Level-Organic-Vapor-Relief-Box10.htm

quote:
3M Particulate Respirator 8514, N95 with Nuisance Level Organic Vapor Relief -- Product Description:

Sold by the Box(10)
Is designed for applications such as welding, soldering and other operations where metal fumes are present including those with ozone* and nuisance level** organic vapors.
Additional Information:
This respirator is designed for applications such as welding, soldering and other operations in which metal fumes are present, including those present with ozone* and nuisance levels** of organic vapors. It can also be used in grinding, sanding, sweeping, bagging and other dusty/hot operations.
It is especially well-suited for foundry operations, lab settings, undercoating and petrochemical operations.
The 8514 features the 3M(TM) Cool Flow(TM) Exhalation Valve, a cake-resistant media, and adjustable straps.

end quote:

pic of box:

Parent - By awspartb (***) Date 03-25-2009 19:17
Thanks.  Got it over at the other thread. 
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / Respirator Filters for GALVANIZED ?