Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS Certification Tests (SWAW)
- - By Ralph Martin Date 03-25-2009 22:14
I need to get the requirements (size of rods, size of metal, grinding allowed?, when, etc.) for taking the AWS Certification Tests with SMAW.  This would be for the 3G, 4G, 6G pipe, pressure pipe, etc. I can find very little on the net. 

Thanks in advance
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 03-25-2009 22:21
This information will not be listed on the net. The information you are after Will be the responsibility of the one administering the test. It will be in the form of a WPS. You can probably call the location where you are testing and ask for a copy of it in advance.
Parent - - By Ralph Martin Date 03-25-2009 22:40
Thanks, but what is a WPS?
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 03-25-2009 22:57
welding procedure specification. This is a code requirement and will list for you all of the information that is required to make the weld. It will list the base metal, filler metal, dia of electrode, amp range to be used, voltage range to be used, fit up requirements ( bevel, root opening, backing, land) with tolerances, pre and post heat as needed, position, and joint designation. Hope this helps and good luck.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 03-25-2009 23:02
Hello Ralph, a WPS is a Welding Procedure Specification, it is basically all of the information that pertains to the set-up, welding electrode type/specification, machine parameters, and any special instructions that are required for a specific type of welding. Some people refer to it as a recipe in a sense. I am making an assumption that you are either relatively new to the welding world or you have been involved with welding in a part of the industry where these certifications aren't required. You will certainly want to educate yourself on many different aspects when you start working to codes. Metallurgical issues are also a definite plus when it comes to working with and understanding the various aspects of code welding. Ask a lot more questions and remain open to a lot of different suggestions. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Ralph Martin Date 03-25-2009 23:50
Again thanks.  But why is this information such a big secret?  I would like to practice using the exact requirements and procedures.  It seems I can get more info on making a bomb than a welding procedure on the internet.  Am I missing something here?

Thanks again
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 03-26-2009 00:28
Hello again Ralph, go to www.wabo.org, this is the website for Washington state's welder certification program. Click on "Welder Certification", this will bring up a page that has some other topics that you can select. Select "WABO Standard 27-13", there are roughly 77 pages in pdf. form that cover a variety of welding practices and code requirements for structural applications. There is information concerning plate, tube, pipe, light gauge materials, this is specifically for structural applications, pressure piping isn't covered only structural pipe (pilings, columns). Positions, angles, lands, root gaps, and other information is contained in certain sections of this publication as well. It also details some of the processes, as a change of process generally requires a different certification. Look through it and I believe you will find answers to many of your questions as well as add questions to the ones you already have. It is based on the AWS D1.1, AWS's code for structural is much more detailed and encompasses a considerable amount more information and range of coverage. If you have any access to an AWS D1.1 code book look through it as well. D1.1 is available on the net, yet, it is going to cost you a considerable amount of dime. Gotta run. Regards, Allan
Parent - - By Ralph Martin Date 03-26-2009 00:44
Thank You aevald!!
Parent - By jsdwelder (***) Date 03-26-2009 13:33
You could think of your company's WPS as your "recipe" for how you do certain welds. Writing and qualifying WPS's can sometimes get costly. I think for that reason and for liabilty sake you find that componies seldom want to part with documentation that they had to invest money in. Also I do know that for ASME each company has to qualifiy their own procedure's. Don't know if AWS is that way or not, but I would imagine
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 03-26-2009 14:12
Ralph Martin,
In addition to the information that aevald has given. I would suggest that you go to the website (Lincoln, Hobart, etc) of a SMAW electrode manufacture. There they will have a data sheet for each electrode. Find the one for 7018, this will be most likely used for structural applications, and they will have suggested amp and volt settings. The most common joint detail is probably 3/8" or 3/4" plate with a 45 degree bevel, 1/4" root, backing or no backing with back-gouge/grind. This should get you close to a typical AWS test.
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 03-26-2009 14:12
It's not so much that it's a big secret, it's that most all WPS are different.
You see, the AWS does not specify that a certification test has to be done to pre-set standards.
What happens is that the AWS allows companies to develop a welding process that best fits the way the company needs to do things determined by their opinion of how their product should be made. The company then welds a test plate with their own parameters and has the test plate examined to determine the final strength of the weldment. As long as the final weld and heat affected zone are as strong as the base metal was before it was welded, then their weld process is certified. This process is called a PQR ( Procedure Qualification Record).
A WPS (Welding Procedure Specification) is then written as a set of instructions as how to duplicate the same process that was used during the PQR. If they need to adjust the parameters beyond a very tight range, then they have to start all over aging with a new PQR.
It's a very technical and drawn out process...
That's why the suggestion was made that if you want to study for a test to be given by a prospective employer, you need to find out how that employer does their welding, in which the best way to do so is to get a copy of their WPS for each process you want to test for. They may not want to give you an actual copy as some companies are leery about distributing proprietary documents. In this case, I would ask to speak to the person who does the testing and get verbal information from him/her.
Does this explain at all or are you still confused?
Tim
Parent - - By Ralph Martin Date 03-29-2009 16:55
That pretty much explains it but, are are you allowed to grind your root pass on any Certification test? To be more specific, near the end of welding school when taking your Certification test, can you grind the root pass for either plate or pipe?
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-29-2009 21:20
Ralph,

If you are the student,  The instructor will inform you about what he will or will not allow as far as grinding... Guidelines may be given by an examiner that exceed the code as long as the person being tested is made aware of the requirments and controls up front.

If you are the instructor, in my opinion it's best to get a consensus of your advisory board and local players who hire your students and make your testing controls similar to what they are going to see out there when they compete for a job.

AWS D1.5 bridge welding code is the only code I know of that has actual language incorperated into it that puts restrictions on grinding during welder performance qualification testing.

Things like grinding and time are often controled by additions to the testing WPS or the drawings attached to it.  If a welder spends hours and hours grinding and regrinding on a weld test they are probably not ready to make it in the work world... On the other hand, the ability to quickly make a repair or feather out a small discontinuity might be perfectly reasonable in many cases.
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 03-30-2009 13:23
Some companies have a no grind rule while testing, regardless of code requirements, most don't.
That's something you'll have to find out from the company you want to test for.

Tim
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS Certification Tests (SWAW)