Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Qualification of European Materials
- - By Bryan Bidewell (*) Date 03-26-2009 15:23
Due to availability we are having to Purchase from Europe hollow sections, specification EN 10210. As these are not detailed within the AWSD1.1 metal groupings how are we able to validate our welding procedures/qualifications are suitable. Surely there must be allowances to use European materials when welding with an American welding code?
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 03-26-2009 19:08
You might be able to get the engineer to agree that the European steel you want to use can be considered equivalent to a particular U.S. grade of steel.  D1.1 explicitly allows this for "auxiliary" attachments in clause 3.4, but I'm assuming you're talking about primary members.

More likely, you'll have to run a qualification test per 4.7.3 and Table 4.9.  That's what I'd make you do if it were my project.

Hg
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 03-26-2009 20:01
ISO Standard TR 20173 - 2005 gives an approximate equivalence of American, European and Japanese steels. That standard will tell you what's the American steel equivalent to EN 10210. However, these equivalences are only approximate, so the fact that your welding procedures for EN 10210 have been approved, it doesn't mean that they are authomatically approved for its American equivalent. I agree with HgTX's suggestion, which I consider sound and valid, but I'll give you another one, so you can choose the one that is more convenient to you.
Check on the ISO standard which is the American equivalent to EN 10210. Once the material has arrived from Europe and is in your possession, have a qualified lab (there are quite a few here in Brazil, so there must be much more in the USA) run the tests required by the applicable American standard (ASTM? SAE?) as for example chemical analysis, tensile stress, impact etc.
If the tests results follow the requirements of the applicable American standard, then there's no doubdt: the European material can be classified as pertaining to the applicable American standard because it satisfies its requirements.
A complete chemical analysis of steel in a qualified Brazilian lab cost about 20 (twenty) US dollars.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil 
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 03-27-2009 13:36
I assume that prior to you purchasing this material, you submitted an RFI to the EOR, requesting it's use.  If that's the case, you could compare the chemical composition of the European MTR'S to the that of the ASTM standard for HSS, or an actual MTR from a US manufacturer, to see how close the two standards are.  If they are close, as has been previously indicated, submit the MTR's to the EOR and ask for approval to use your existing WPS.  
Parent - - By Bryan Bidewell (*) Date 03-27-2009 15:28
I may understand this more if I knew the meaning of your RFI and EOR abbreviations?
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 03-27-2009 15:34
RFI= request for information
EOR= Engineer of record

jrw159 :-)
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 03-27-2009 19:29
And MTR and HSS?
Giovanni S. Crisi 
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 03-27-2009 20:47
HSS= Hollow structural section.

MTR= Material test report

Also

CMTR= Certified material test report.

jrw159 :-)
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Qualification of European Materials