Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Need advice for welding gears to a shaft
- - By Lonnie Date 01-23-2002 03:13
The gears are made out of 8620 Carburized and the shaft is made of ETD 150. Can anyone give me any advice such as pre heat - post heat if needed and what temp. Also what filler metal should I be using for this.

Thanks in advance.
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 01-23-2002 17:25
Dont expect to get a lot of replys other than questions.

Most folks will tell you this not a good practice and don't want to give advice that could destroy or injure.

More information is needed like size, load, speed and I for one do not recognize the material of the gear or the shaft.

And most of all why must you weld them? Welding will most likely weaken the shaft not to mention what problems the distortion from the heat will cause.

Parent - - By kam (**) Date 01-23-2002 19:18
8620 is a pretty common gear material. Various amounts of CrNIMo which allows for it to be carborized. Never heard of the other material. Welding the 8620 might be difficult due to the high amount of surface carbon it contains. When you weld it you will more than likely destroy the carborized case which is put there during the carborization process.

What are you trying to do? What is the application? I have welded several gears to shafts for various projects around the farm but none of them have been safty critical. Really depends on what you are trying to do.
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 01-24-2002 13:27
Forgive me.

I had no idea this person was working on Farm equipment. I my line of work you would not consider such a task unless it was a customers request.

How ever I maintain that the consequences of welding on finished machine and aligned parts can be very costly at times.

Parent - By kam (**) Date 01-24-2002 15:12
I'm not sure what he is trying to do. Think I'll follow your advice and wait for more information.
Parent - By BP Maas (**) Date 01-23-2002 22:51
I think you might be referring to "EDT" It's a "stress proof" shaft material.
If so the only success I had welding it was with 312 stainless. This also works for joining CrMo cast materials to 304L. We preheat to 250F, 500F interpass temp, no post heat. Works for us, some pieces have been in service more than twenty years.
Parent - - By bhiltz (**) Date 01-25-2002 18:14
maybe i'm wrong but i think this guy has an idea of some sort & to build his experiment he has to weld a gear to a shaft (maybe a second time as the first time the weld cracked or something). if i had the information i'd post it, i don't but i'm sure someone reading this does.
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 01-25-2002 19:31
You are much better at reading minds than I am.

He should provide more info just the same.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Need advice for welding gears to a shaft