Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Welding Equipment Classifieds / For Sale Lincoln SA 200
- - By mikedeere (*) Date 03-26-2009 19:44
I have a lincoln sa 200 for sale. I don`t know the year, it is in the 70`s, it had no face plate when I got it. The motor has been o-hauled no leaks welds real nice has new paint, points,plugs,wires,rewired,rad hose,new head bolts,new exaust valves,starts and runs perfect. The idle down don`t work unless it wants to but It is all there.I`m in Missouri 30mi.west of St.Louis. I will post pictures if I can.
Attachment: 100_1298.JPG (623k)
Attachment: 100_1299.JPG (963k)
Attachment: 100_1300.JPG (503k)
Attachment: 100_1301.JPG (630k)
Parent - By mikedeere (*) Date 03-26-2009 19:51
By the way It has maybe 30 hrs. on motor thanks for lookin
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 03-26-2009 21:20
how much???
Parent - By mikedeere (*) Date 03-26-2009 22:09
Sorry, 3000.00 firm I would possibly take partial trade for a nice bobcat or ranger. Thanks My Cell no. 314 610 3238 if anyone is interested
Parent - - By Nitesky (**) Date 03-27-2009 04:24 Edited 03-27-2009 04:28
Octagon generator c/w aluminum windings, front welding output studs, old style idler, might be 1972 or early 73.  The idler was changed in May 73 so this looks like it predates that change.
Parent - - By mikedeere (*) Date 03-30-2009 14:01
thanks nitesky, The I bought the machine thinking I was going to do some work with it but when I got her all fixed up things just didn`t work out. Ispent alot of money on her so I need to get it back. She`s in top shape  
Parent - - By cyrus 07 (**) Date 03-31-2009 19:20
I thought Ksellon said anything before 1973 had all copper windings??
Parent - - By Nitesky (**) Date 04-01-2009 00:09
Octagon generators all had aluminum.  Changes happened with changes to the code # and didn't always come at the end of the model year.
Parent - - By 63 Max (***) Date 04-02-2009 01:35
Sorry but all Octagon generators did not have aluminum windings. I have had a 76, 81, 83 and a 86 that were all copper windings. I think it was mainly 73 and 74 models but I'm sure someone on here could tell us for sure.
Parent - - By Nitesky (**) Date 04-02-2009 02:05
Many were re-wound with copper over the years but the reason for the octagon generator is to make more room for the aluminum windings installed by the factory.  Aluminum remained in use until 1992 when copper was used in a round generator for the Classic 1.
Parent - - By 250pipeliner (**) Date 04-02-2009 04:36
i have a 1998 classic1 with a octogon gen. but has all copper windings. my 2000 classic2 is the same. i know a few welders that 80's model sa200's that are all copper with octo gen. i would call hybrid welding and ask their opinion about that. maybe copper windings were an option you had to request. i pulled shunts out my 73' sa200 and the replacement copper shunts were about the same size, i say about cuz the old one's cardboard insulation was swollen and the were nice and made from somekind of waxy insulaton.
Parent - - By Nitesky (**) Date 04-02-2009 12:52
So there is no way to make sense of this "dog's breakfast"?
How would you determine before buying?  What do you look for?

I understand that copper could be ordered from the factory but it sounds like it was the rule to the exception.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 04-03-2009 01:42
the windings are in the shunts not in the armitures all armitures are copper but the shunts are aluminum or copper how do i know i have had them apart and scrapwed the shunts with a knife to check
Parent - - By Nitesky (**) Date 04-03-2009 04:18
And how to tell with the straight aluminum vs copper clad aluminum when you are looking to buy a machine and the owner is freaking cause you are scraping the shunts with your stiletto?

I am interested, not just trying to incite a riot.  My machine is aluminum.  The man at the motor re-wind shop that repaired it told me
Parent - - By 250pipeliner (**) Date 04-03-2009 23:54
the man at the motor re-wind? i dont understand what did he re-wind? the aluminum shunts are always copper clad not straight aluminum. well what iv seen, and iv seen quite a few the welders in my local. even the series coils are copper clad. the interpole coil that are permanent in the stator housing are also aluminum but i think they just coated with insulation sprayed on. its a weird thing ive spoke with people at lincoln and they cant say much about it other than they did it to save money. i think even if the shunts are replaced its still not gona weld like a 100% copper gen. you'de have to change out everything including the interpoles which ive never heard of.
Parent - - By Nitesky (**) Date 04-04-2009 01:18
There is a story behind why it was repaired but it is not important at this time.  Our Lincoln Repair outsources just like the rest of the world does and they send them to Kilred Winding Industries so that is where I took mine for a repair (I never said re-wind).

I guess you have neatly described why the Redface and older are so to be desired and that is what I wanted to know.

As for the difference in welding because of copper vs aluminum, I'll never believe that marketing ploy.

Thanks for the info :)
Parent - - By 250pipeliner (**) Date 04-04-2009 01:53
my bad, dont mean to put words in your mouth. but personally i think that it boils down to the welder and the application. i think that as far as pipeline is concerned that most welders want to be able to stack as much metal as possible in the first pass. but i also work a lot of indutrial jobs as well(building trades= refineries, power plants, etc.) and stacking metal isnt a concern, only have very clean welds as far as xray is concerned. even on a pipeline shouldnt matter just having clean welds. dont pay too much attention to the whole copper thing, its all about the welder. aluminum welders can and do perform just as good as far as the arc is concerned, iv welded with all copper gens that sucked. its a luck of the draw i think. just that with aluminum that the heat is gonna taper down thru out the day as it wud with copper but just more loss of heat. i like the older welders becuase of how simple they are and pretty easy to fix for a beginer meachanic like me.
Parent - By mikedeere (*) Date 04-04-2009 14:35
I didn`t mean to start a big debate. I just wanted to sell or trade my machine. LOL
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 04-05-2009 15:22
the only way to scrape the shunts is if its apart in general speaking if the gen housing is round not octagon it's copper wound but if its octogon shaped it aluminum unless the shunts have been changed out to copper
Parent - - By mikedeere (*) Date 04-08-2009 21:43
guys this is a real nice machine,not a bad price, new overhauled motor lots of new stuff, thanks I would like to have a bobcat that i could get some power from.
Parent - By mikedeere (*) Date 05-01-2009 01:24
I would like to update a bit. I repaired the idler, put a good bellows on it and it works perfect.Thanks
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Welding Equipment Classifieds / For Sale Lincoln SA 200