Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Actively Cooled Welding Fixtures
- By smithdos (*) Date 01-23-2002 14:54
I'm contemplating design and fabrication of an actively cooled welding fixtures to (hopefully) control weld shrinkage/distortion. The first application will be for a power generation steam manifold fabricated from 5" sch 80 and 6" sch 40 stainless pipe. Further applications would include thinwall aerospace products (multiple metal types), as well as aerospace products that have thin-to-thick weld configurations.

The idea is to have a metal "spud" fitted to the inside or outside of the work, and cooled water (from a torch cooling unit, dedicated to the tool) circulate water through the spud.

1. What information (i.e. texts, websites, journal references, etc.) are available regarding such fixtures?

2. Are there any companies that make these? (I presume such a company would be making custom product, but I am wondering nonetheless)

3. Is fabrication of such fixtures approached from a "trial and error" basis, or is some science involved? (i.e. calculating flow rate, heat transfer, sizing the internal plumbing to fit, etc.)

Thanks-
Dave

Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Actively Cooled Welding Fixtures