Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 798 not even reviewing applications..... hard times
- - By bullsnbets (**) Date 03-27-2009 18:35
I just called to check on the status of my application to 798 and was told that they aren't even reviewing applications anymore until work picks up. True sign that times are gettin tough.
Parent - By hotrodtodd (**) Date 03-27-2009 19:06
earlier this week there was rigt at 1000 welders and 1500 helpers on the out of work wheel
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 03-27-2009 19:13
I had a buddy that got hired on at Conoco Philips Wood River refinery as an operator and was due to start this june.  He got a letter in the mail the other day stating "due to all of the economic problems, we're not going to be able to start you till June of 2010.''  So he is in big trouble right now unless he finds a job quick.  Notice the gas prices going back up and the price of crude is way low.  I think the are cutting production all over and now fuel prices are going to go back up.
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 03-27-2009 19:19
It's not hard times in mainline construction, this year is going to be a very good year.
Our construction season typically runs from May thru October, give or take. Work never kicks off big until after the Steward School which is next week. With exceptions here and there of course.
Last year was an amomaly, the biggest year on record. Don't plan on seeing another like it in your lifetime.
This time of year the work is (excepting last year) ALWAYS slow.
It's the nature of the business and has been for decades.

JTMcC.
Parent - - By okwelder82 (***) Date 03-28-2009 03:34
Are you 798 JTMcC?
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 03-28-2009 03:44
Yes.

JTMcC
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 03-28-2009 14:35
i think work is slow everywhere. a person needs to be deversified. several of us were pipelining and welding on drilling rigs....right now...im building barns and building fence for less than 40 bucks per hour. if a person just "sits by the phone" he will go broke!. One needs to go out and beat the bushes. i have even advertised on Craigslist and IT IS WORKING!!!!
A man wont get rich at these wages but keeps the bills paid and the banker at bay! it will turn around!!!
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 03-29-2009 00:15
[deleted]
Parent - By JohnJohn (**) Date 03-29-2009 14:31
Good point. I am going to be shelling out 1800 bones for my bridge cert in a couple of months. The inspector who re-certified me suggested it after seeing my bend results. There is supposed to be a lot of bridge work coming up over the next few years and not enough guys with the cert. I am also going to take a 6g test this week because I have to weld up some gas pipe on a new school. Long story short, as Shorthood mentioned, diversification is the key in ALL times. I see too many guys get the boomer bug and when it slows down they starve to death.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 798 not even reviewing applications..... hard times