Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / WPS documention.
- - By CLH1978 (**) Date 03-27-2009 20:32
Good afternoon everyone. Have a question on documenting the results of a UT. When you ut a procedure qualification, do you note somewhere on the pqr or wps that the qualification is for a static or cyclically loaded stucture? Thanks in advance for any info.
Parent - By pataterchip (**) Date 04-07-2009 19:51
What code are you working to? And what is the material? I am guessing D1.1
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 04-08-2009 13:09 Edited 04-08-2009 17:04
CLH1978,
This is something that is not clearly addressed by the code. Typically I use static. I believe the intent of this examination is actually to help the fabricator/contractor. By performing NDT the contractor is not in the position of sending out a pqr with discontinuities in it. Helps cut down on expenses.
Parent - By CLH1978 (**) Date 04-08-2009 16:34
Thanks guys for answering. Currently we use AWS codes. We file the UT report with the PQR qualification
records. Our engineers, QA dept, all have access to those files. I'm just making sure that is good enough
documentation. Thanks again!
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 04-08-2009 16:43
Your question appears to have 2 parts to it, and I am assuming D1.1 because of the static/cyclic reference:

I can't see why you would need to list what the PQR is being qualified for.  All the welding is pretty much the same, the static/cyclic differences are mainly in the application of the weld (design) and the acceptance criteria, and doesn't affect how the PQR is run.

As far as documenting UT results, you should note the PQR test number and the criteria you used to evaluate it by, along with the results.  If there are any contractual requirements, you need to document enough to show compliance.  If you want to show that the test was intended for static or cyclic welding, that does no harm but isn't really needed.

RT is frequently used for PQR evaluation, with UT being performed prior to RT to avoid wasting time on a rejection.  If your UT was done under those circumstances, and is not actually required, you can record anything you want to.
Parent - - By Voltage Date 04-08-2009 18:26
That is a good question CLH1978 I would think that you would want to have the ut report with the PQR To show that the PQR was welded for cyclically and that the UT was done with the cyclically acceptance criteria.  just to be sure that a static loaded PQR was not used for a cyclically loaded stucture!
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 04-08-2009 18:33
The UT criteria for a PQR has nothing to do with the intended service of the fabricated part.
Parent - - By Voltage Date 04-08-2009 20:21
Then y do they have you UT a PQR, which sends you to Clause 6 part c where both 6.13.1 Statically and 6.13.2 Cyclically or table 6.2 and table 6.3 are found.  I don't know that much about UT but i have been told by our UT man that you can have a Test that would fail on the cyclical criteria pass on the static criteria.
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 04-08-2009 20:59
Well, actually, Clause 6 Part C leads to 6.13.3.1 "Class R (Applicable When UT is Used as an Alternate to RT)" and  Figure 6.4 instead of the 6.2 and 6.3 Tables.
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 04-08-2009 21:26
As stated previously, so the fabricator will not be sending a pqr to have mechanical testing that has flaws in it.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / WPS documention.