Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / want to ride this one?
- - By jrw159 (*****) Date 03-30-2009 02:13 Edited 03-30-2009 02:16
Bull alligator, I do not remember what he weighed, but he was the biggest of four that were worked with that day. The guy prestaged us, moved me in on the left side, gave me control of him (minus the rope around his neck that was held snug) stepped off to the right side, staged my son right behind me and we snapped the pic. The dismount was an exact reverse of the mount. This was in 2000. We held some of the younger ones and had alligator fajita's. They were good.

He was not a happy camper. They told me the only thing that I HAD to do and MUST do, if he started to act up was to not let go of his head, and not jump off, and they would pile on and we would restrain him. WAIT.... he said WE would restrain him. NO PROBLEM as long as all I have to do is hold on to the head!!! I am not sure how it would have turned out if he decided to get wild, but I was not letting go. LOL

jrw159

EDIT: I was not wearing steel toes, but I thought I could do without the toes if I had to run like hell. I did have my trusty Jackson Nomads on at the time. I need to see the escape route.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 03-30-2009 02:19
Riding that is alot like riding my toys. All you need to ask yourself is 1 question. If it can't kill ya, then just how much fun can it really be ?
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 03-30-2009 02:24
TRUE!! Adrinaline is one of my biggest vices.

jrw159

Notice the Ranco rock trailers in the background?
Parent - - By darren (***) Date 03-30-2009 07:29
there is a guy up here in kelowna bc that has a croc refuge, i know wtf would a guy in bc canada want to do with crocs up here why doesn't he go down there, anyways every time i see one i just wonder how they taste they look like such nice big chunks of meat to me. how did they taste?
darren
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 03-30-2009 10:29
Like Chicken
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 03-30-2009 12:42
Well, I have not eaten crocodile, but the alligator that we had tasted kind of like a cross between fish and pork, more to the fish side. That is about as close as I can describe it. I have been told that it also depends on what part you eat. They said it is similar to a turtle in the sense that there are several types of meat, IE the tail section, legs, ribs, ect. There is a seafood/cajun restaraunt in Lewisville (can't remember the name) that serves alligator tails I want to try in the future.

This picture was taken in Lamar CO which is in southeastern CO. There is a very large alligator/talapia farm in Alamosa that tried to branch out to Lamar. They utilized the heated water runoff from the power plant for raising the fish, and they had six large bulls to dispose of the waste fish that died and the leftovers from processing them. It did not last long, and they have since moved them back to Alamosa. They have also switched to coal for power in Lamar so where the fish/alligator farm sat is now coal storage and such for the plant.

jrw159
Parent - - By burleigh26 (**) Date 03-31-2009 01:13
do you remember how long he was.  he's nice size, biggest i've been next to is an 18 footer.  but they are all around me, i live pretty much live in the marsh.  when i was younger, me and friends would swim at the hunting camp with gators in the pond, but only 6 footers or less.   we have had them before, we hunt them with a 14' alum. boat and they dont fit in the boat so we drag them on the side of the boat.  those were fun days.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 03-31-2009 03:01
I think it was 10' 9" and 1000lbs, but it has been so long that I can not be sure.
Parent - - By johnnyh (***) Date 03-31-2009 15:58
Why didnt you add the video John?  This must have been quite a day for you.

http://www.snotr.com/video/1759
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 03-31-2009 16:28
BWAAHAHAHAHA!!!  That funny!!! :-) Could have been worse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er2VH83xMgQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCwqgVqHdeY

jrw159
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-02-2009 03:17
I found the other two pics from that day. This guys mouth was taped shut and he was quick like green lightning.

jrw159 :-)
Parent - - By lonestarwelder7 (**) Date 05-03-2009 04:50
I might ride this one........
Attachment: c.bmp (716k)
Attachment: c1.bmp (716k)
Attachment: c2.bmp (716k)
Attachment: c3.bmp (716k)
Attachment: c4.bmp (716k)
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 05-03-2009 05:40
I like that.  Is that a custom or a production bike?  :-)
Parent - - By vagabond (***) Date 05-03-2009 20:18
Hey Byron just curious who is that guy you have a picture of in your avatar????  ROFLMAO. . . . . . you knew somebody had to ask eventually.  That's why you did it ya stir stick. . . . . . Actually I was told the other day I may be a "blue dog" Democrat.  I'd never heard the term before but I kinda like it.. . .
Parent - By BryonLewis (****) Date 05-04-2009 01:56
Hell, bro, I got more attention and comments when I had the Jayhawk on there in February and March.  :-)
Maybe I'll switch it soon it doesn't seem to be bothering anybody now.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-03-2009 16:21
Thats pretty cool Lonestar!! :-)
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / want to ride this one?