Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / WELD SCALLOPING ?
- - By cfrancis (**) Date 03-30-2009 14:20
Hi Guys

Im not familiar with this term. I have a drawing that states in the notes that "Weld Scalloping" is permissable.

Does anyone know what this may mean?

Thanks
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-30-2009 17:08
I've not seen the term associated with a picture.

I use the term (not sure if it's perfectly correct) to describe weave beads that have greater forward travel than usual which causes a "scalloped" profile at the weld toes... 

Uneven toes are generally not desirable for a number of reasons... Also scalloped weld toes tend to make undercut more pronounced if gun/torch/rod angles are incorrect or if arc voltage is excessive in GMAW/FCAW

There is my 2 cents... 
Parent - By cfrancis (**) Date 03-30-2009 17:31
Thank you for the pic and your explanation. Yeah, I cant imagine why anyone would actually want or say they permit this.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 03-30-2009 17:32
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-30-2009 19:50
We all know "anything goes in Texas", so I'm not sure I would like to see the weaves depicted in the last few photos included in the thread mentioned above. Then again, the first photo I saw look "pretty as a picture". Surely that wasn't intended to be an example of a Texas Weave! :)

Speaking of Texas, I heard a radio show on NPR on Saturday (I think) that was talking about a new house built in Texas that was crumbling. In the course of several years, the home owners won their case in several lower courts only to have the judgement overturned on appeal when it got to the Texas Supreme Court. It seems that the builder, the largest in the State of Texas, contributed several million dollars to the Supreme Court judges election committees and was a major contributor to the "Fast Boat Committee". The builder was even successful in getting a new law passed in the Texas legislature that would just about make it impossible for a home owner bring a suit against the builder should a problem arise. As they say, "You can buy anything in Texas, if you have enough money."

Its good to know that other states have the same problems we have in New England and we aren't alone when it comes to corruption and government officials. However, Connecticut seems to have as many city mayors serving time in Federal Prison as serving in the City Halls. 

Pardon me for hijacking the thread! ;)

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-30-2009 19:56
That's  "swift boat committee"

:)
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-30-2009 20:01
Your right!

Al
Parent - - By fschweighardt (***) Date 07-24-2009 16:00
This is what we always called "lacing"
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-25-2009 03:30
I call it "shixxy" profile!

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / WELD SCALLOPING ?