Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Material Traceability for Piping
- - By cong nguyen (**) Date 04-01-2009 00:49
Dear all,

We are fabricating some pipe spool that according to ASME B31.3, the material shall be trace as normal works in project, however, as my experial in preview project, we just need to trace for main material (fabrication material) as pipe, fitting and not for bolts, nuts, gasket etc... but now third pary company requred us to trace for all of materials that mention on drawing, so any body can help me to answer them that the bolts, nuts, gasket don't need to trace or may their requirement are correclly and I shall follow them.

Thank you very much!
Parent - - By James Corbin (**) Date 04-01-2009 04:13
Was a specific grade of fastener required by your contract? If yes then you must prove you have met the requirements with documentation.
At this point in time "can you trace" the bolts you bought & used to an MTR? Hopefully your traceability is not lost.
Tracing of bolts, nuts, and washers is quite common when they are in shear or tensile load or under a load at extreme temperatures.
Parent - By crater Date 04-01-2009 06:40
I just want to throw my 2 cents in here. Based on my experience, if you are building a petrochemical plant or refinery with hydrocarbon system,s you might think you are saving money by not maintaining traceability but you are sadly mistaken. Especially gaskets. Only my opinion.

Look at your project specs and purchase order to see what is required.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Material Traceability for Piping