Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Table 4.2
- - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-06-2009 14:38
D1.1 Table 4.2

Looking at a PQR for pipe Less than 24" dia....  1/2 inch thick

This tells me that the Nominal Plate thickness qualified is T/2  to 2T

So if we were to generate a welder performance qualification test from this PQR... Lets say a common 1" V groove which is exactly 2T on the PQR..

Even though Table 4.11 says welder will be qualified from 1/8" to unlimited... All production thicknesses must remain between 1/4" and 1" because of the limitations placed on the PQR.....

Right?
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 04-06-2009 15:44
It is a little early on Monday, so I'm not sure that I follow what your asking. It sounds like the welder will be qualified 1/8" to unlimited, but the pqr will limit the ability to generate a wps beyond 1/4" to 1", sounds correct.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-06-2009 16:43
Thanks Hogan!

It was an early Monday morning question for me!

So I thought a little sounding board action would be a good thing.
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 04-06-2009 16:46
Maybe this is just the rookie in me speaking up, but I would think that the WPS developed from the PQR would have to fall in that thickness range; the WPQTR might be a different story.  So the welder may be qualified to weld 1/8" to UNL, but if he/she runs that WPS, then 1/4" to 1" is the range to stay in, right?  gawd, I think I just chased my tail.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Table 4.2