Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Welder continuity?
- - By flamin (**) Date 04-07-2009 18:47
Just a quick question regarding welder continuity.
Sec. IX QW-322.1 states "The performance qualification of a welder or welding operator shall be affected when one of the following conditions occurs:"

QW-322.1-(1) states:"the welder has welded with that process using manual or semiautomatic welding, under the supervision and control of the qualifying manufacturer or contractor............."

So I take that as meaning, If a welder qualified with GTAW, as long as they weld using the GTAW process within the 6 month expriration date, regardless of material, position, etc, he/she remains qualified to all qualifications using that "process". In otherwords, a welder has qualifications to S/S Pipe (6G), Carbon pipe (6G), 6061 Plate (2G, 3G), all using GTAW, so long as they use the GTAW process, all those qualifications remain in effect.
Is this correct?

Jason
Parent - - By pataterchip (**) Date 04-07-2009 19:23
Yes that is correct. 
Parent - - By flamin (**) Date 04-07-2009 19:24
Thank you.

Jason
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 04-07-2009 20:30
Don't forget that if it was not documented, it didn't happen.
If someone does not keep up an accurate continuity log, the welders certs expire.

Tim
Parent - By flamin (**) Date 04-08-2009 15:43
Thanks

I have been keeping a log book, for about a year now, since I took over the responsibility. Unfortunately we did have several certs that expired due to lack of documentation. I'm in the process of weeding out the old paperwork, and updating what I can save. There is just a few grey areas that I'm figuring out as I go. Thanks to everyones help here.

Jason
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Welder continuity?