Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / welding of k area
- - By hogan (****) Date 04-08-2009 15:54
Is the welding of a beam's K area limited by AWS D1.1? D1.1 is the only applicable code.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 04-08-2009 16:25
A search of my D1.1 shows that "k section" is not mentioned in it - so I would say no it isn't limited by D1.1.

That is normally a concern with AISC requirements.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 04-08-2009 17:03
thanks, that is what I found but want to make sure.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-08-2009 18:06
Another area that is considered a place not to weld is on the toes of the flanges. Some 3rd party inspectors are tough on this and others ask that we weld on the toes when the shop drawing calls out an all around symbol(ie base plate to column shaft). Reasoning was that the "junk" in these rolled shapes usually show up in those areas....(the "k" area and the toes of the flanges).

Chet do you have a reference for any of this we are talking about? I know I've seen it, but have forgotten where it is located(my CRS is creeping in again).

...for those who don't know: CRS = Can't Remember Stuff
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 04-08-2009 20:39
CRS is affecting me too.  I'll see if I can find it but I almost think a "Modern Steel Construction" article or similar addressed why it is not recommended to weld in the weld access holes on beam butt splices, nor on stiffener snipes.  In fact, it might even be from the bridge industry.
If I can't find it, I'll bet Steel Solutions can help.

Related to that is "wrapping" welds on opposite sides of common plane (D1.1 Fig. 2.8).  I don't know how many engineers still insist that they want all parts of the joints sealed, even in that situation.  I don't even fight it anymore - I just go with the "you want fries with that?" approach.
Parent - By mountainman (***) Date 04-08-2009 21:07
John, maybe try the AISC seismic provisions page 23, sec 7.5......, 7.4 touches on protected zones.

JJ
Parent - By Bert70 (*) Date 04-09-2009 07:19
John,
To the best of my knowledge there is no code requirement (AISC or AWS) restricting welds at the toes of flanges. If you don't find it in the job spec I would request that the 3rd party inspector provide their rejection criteria so you may properly address the condition. As you noted, this is a common detail at the baseplate connection of "gravity" (Non-Moment Frame) columns. And since it is not welding the opposite side of a common plane, D1.1 does not restrict it either.

-Bert
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-08-2009 18:10
BTW, did you find what you were looking for in regards to the copes of beams?
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 04-08-2009 18:27
Yes and I'm not to happy about it. Only D1.1 applies. Thanks for the input
Parent - - By Bert70 (*) Date 04-09-2009 07:07
Some things to consider regarding this topic:
There is a difference between k-area and k section (or the region defined by the "k" dimension IAW ASTM A6).

The k area is a region of the web,1 ½" wide adjacent to both fillet regions of rolled wide flange members, that runs the length of the member (ref ANSI/AISC 341-5, Commentary C7.5 and Figure C-1-7.2 for a sketch of the location). It is the region that receives the most work hardening during normal mill operations.

As mentioned above, D1.1 does not restrict welding in this area, however as mountainman noted, ANSI/AISC 341-05 discusses continuity and stiffener plate design around this location. Additionally AWS D1.8 addresses welding in this location as well.

You will note after reading these documents that welding in this region is not always prohibited. In fact some web doubler-plate designs leave no other option. So check your General Structural Notes and Seismic Details for specific requirements.

-Bert
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-11-2009 02:45
You want to look in the new edition of D1.8 for welding structures that have to meet seismic requirements. The limitations for welding in the k-area are addressed.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / welding of k area