Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / ASME or API
- - By don (**) Date 01-31-2002 21:53
I didnt state my question very well. How similiar are ASME and API? If I go through the API class (its the only one available when I can go) will it be close enough to ASME that I will be able to use ASME section IX in a general way. How close are the API and ASME codes?
Parent - By NDTIII (***) Date 02-01-2002 03:50
Your best bet is to take the test to API-1104.
Parent - By Michael Sherman (***) Date 02-01-2002 13:14
As I have studied for my CWI / CWE certifications, I have asked alot of questions. I asked your exact question to the people at AWS and also to a welding engineer/CWI/CWE friend of mine. The answer from all of them was that the test is designed to prove your ability to decipher a code, any code, given time and the necessary information and tools. I will be taking AWS D1.1

Hope this helps.
Respectfully,
Mike Sherman
Shermans Welding
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 02-01-2002 18:46
What the other post say correct,

I was wondering if you knew that AWS no longer offers the ASME test?
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 02-01-2002 19:29
Don,
I highly recommend you use the code that you use on a regular basis. Many test candidates use the API code but use the D1.1 during daily functions. They are certified but don't know what to do with that big red book. If you just want to pass an exam, use what your comfortable with.

Code options at the present time for the CWI/CWE exam are:
D1.1 98/00
D1.5-96 (metric)
D15.1-93
API 1104
Parent - - By don (**) Date 02-01-2002 19:53
Sounds like the API course will be my closest bet for learning ASME section IX? Is this correct?
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 02-04-2002 15:29
One reason why a lot of people take the test using API 1104 is becaucse that code is much smaller, easier to reference and intrepret than the other codes. This makes the open book section of the test easier to complete in the given amount of time provided.
Studying 1104 or D1.1 will not help you to learn Section IX. A lot of people, especially including myself, made the mistake of assuming that the codes are similar and wind up making incorrect decisions that came back to bite them.
If you want to learn Section IX, then study section IX.
ASME does offer training classes for their codes.
Parent - By NDTIII (***) Date 02-05-2002 03:35
In addition, CASTI sells CD's that go through the various codes and explain what each section os trying to say without interpreting it. They have one for Section IX. Try this link. http://www.casti.ca/books_ebooks/products.html
Parent - - By Ronalb (*) Date 02-14-2002 15:55
Don, if you contact ABS (American Burea of Shipping) or some other regulatory that covers ASME Code verification then they can help you. About five years ago I went through a three day course called Industrial Verification. The course was put on by David Sumpter who is an Authorized Inspector (AI) with ABS for the BVPC. The course covered Sections II, V, VIII, and IX. It was a very informative class and helped me out tremendously since I had no previous experience with ASME. To answer you question on if API 1104 will help you with ASME, the answer is NO. API requires more testing than ASME does. One example for ASME is that you can qualify a procedure on plate in any one position and it will be qualified for all positions and cover pipe with the same P number. However the welders must test in every position that they will weld in. The welders can also be qualified by production, just shoot an x-ray on the weld and if it is good then they can be certied by that, but if it is not good then all there weld has to be removed.
I hope this helps.
Ronald B.
Parent - By Brad_J (*) Date 02-21-2002 02:02
Ronald is partly right about ASME certification. Correction- a 6G test qualifies the welder for all positions. Generally, the higher degree of difficulty the more positions qualified. Section 9 spells this out quite clearly. Reading is one way of learning. Many people choose to go through their local NDT inspection service provider or in the case of Section 8, your AI (authorized inspector).
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / ASME or API