Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / GTAW Open Buttweld 6" Aluminum
- - By conank Date 04-09-2009 20:31
Attempting to set a procedure for open butt aluminum having penetration issues. Any suggestions?

6" Aluminum 6061 grade 6
Schedule .280
Process GTAW
Wire 5183 1/8"
1/8" tungsten
argon shielding gas
no backing ring or backing gas.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-09-2009 21:55
Welcome to the Forum!

So it's aluminum pipe

6 inch dia.
just over 1/4 inch thick.

Is it a square groove or did you bevel?

If you beveled what is the root face demension?

What type of power supply?

Assuming your using AC power.

What balance control setting?

What type of 1/8 inch electrode?
What type of tip prep.

Is the part rotated during welding?
If No, What position is the weld?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-11-2009 02:12
Good questions Lawrence.

In general, no backing gas is required when welding aluminum.

I prefer a U-groove, zero root opening, and a 1/16 root face. Some people prefer to use an extended flat in the root similar to what is shown in AWS D10.11 Guide for Root Pass Welding of Pipe Without Backing.

AC with an EWZr tungsten electrode with a balled end should work fine. Argon shielding gas would be the gas of choice for this application. The root pass can go in with 60 to 80 amps depending on the actual root face you use.

I would prefer to use a 4043 or 5356 for the filler metal, but that's what I'm familiar with.

Good luck.

Best regards - Al
Attachment: StdU-GrooveModel1.pdf (12k)
Attachment: StdU-GrooveModel1.jpg (0B)
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-12-2009 17:50
Excellent post there Al!

BTW, Happy Easter to you and your family ,and I would like to extend my salutations to the rest of my extended family for which I've neglected to keep in touch with for way too long.

This will no longer be a problem since I've just recently resigned my position for personal reasons as Senior Year Welding Instructor from the College where I've been teaching in the past year. I hope everyone will forgive me for not taking more of my own time to participate in this "World's Greatest Welding Forum."

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-13-2009 02:48
Welcome back.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-13-2009 12:37
Hank,
  Good to hear from you!

jrw159
Parent - - By conank Date 04-13-2009 16:26
Thanks after seeing the problems they are having I am going to try the U groove.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-14-2009 04:03
Hello Henry and everyone else as well.

Sorry to hear you left your position as an instructor, but you have to do what is best for you.

I'm working on a repair project at the moment. An emergency job on a 12 ton cast steel manifold. The wall thickness where the cracks are located are between 3 and 5 inches depending on the area of interest. The crack is where the "pipe" connects to the "flange". An interesting project that is well underway, but there is still a few days worth of welding to be completed.

I do enjoy these jobs. Each one is a real challenge and every one is different.

Henry, I'm happy to see you are up and running.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 04-16-2009 12:32
If you look at figure 3.30 on page 60 of AWS D1.2(2003), it gives you some joint dimensions.  This joint dimension is much more conssitent and easier to put a root in then a U groove in my opinion.  You would butt it tight like said above and go to town.  If you don't have D1.2(2003), I can copy the picture and post it in here if need be.
Parent - - By Ke1thk (**) Date 04-16-2009 14:51
I weld thin wall tubing (.049, .065, etc.)  I discovered a "magic control" on my Miller Syncrowave, the Balance/Dig dial.  It controls cleanliness while welding aluminum if set at position #3, but if set at #8 the welds have nearly perfect penetration all the way around.   

Good Luck,
Keith
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-26-2009 07:50
HOWDY Henry!!!!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / GTAW Open Buttweld 6" Aluminum