Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / athermal welding lenses??
- - By jarrod risley Date 04-10-2009 01:44
I recently met a man who has a whole case of lenses they are glass gold lenses kind of a wierd grayish green color and by wierd I mean different than what i'm used to.  on the back of these it says athermal shade10 and that's about it. the man says that they are german made and I was just curious if anyone has heard of these or used them? And do they still make them? how much would they be worth?? I have only used one for a little bit since I just got one, but they seem to be a pretty good lens with a clear view of the puddle.  Just curious to see if I can find some info thanks in advance for any help
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-10-2009 04:37
Athermal means that they are designed to do a better job of reflecting Infrared radiation (IR).

http://www.us.schott.com/special_applications/english/products/protection_glass/athermal_neu/
Parent - - By Root Pass (***) Date 06-20-2009 00:00
Tried them and love them! Thanks for the tip!! And under $2.00!!!

http://www.phillips-safety.com/Welding-Safety/Welding-Lenses.htm,
Parent - - By ironheadguy Date 10-31-2009 19:07
rootpass, which lens did you go with? im using a "gold" 10, not sure of the brand, local welding supply had them, they are glass, much clearer than the regular lenses or plastic ones i think, but i still have a tough time seeing the puddle, i tried a 9, but it was too bright, thinking about trying the phillips safety lenses, but not sure which olne to get.....
Parent - By Root Pass (***) Date 11-01-2009 18:24
I used the "regular" in a shade 11 and had them make me an "AlloWeld" in shade 11. They are both very clear. A #10 has always been a little too bright for me.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / athermal welding lenses??