Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Multiple Weld Postions On WQTR
- - By jcrooke Date 04-13-2009 20:09
If I qualify a welder in the 3G and 4G positions is there any reason that I can not just do 1 WQTR and have both postions on there. The reason I ask is I have someone questioning the validity of some WQTR I did this way because it requires 2 different test. I have done it this way for a while and have not had this problem before.
Parent - By GRoberts (***) Date 04-13-2009 22:44
As long as you have two test to support it, you should be fine.  There are no reporting requirements, such that each test has to have a seperate form.  I used to do it that way  myself.
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 04-14-2009 16:55
I assume you're talking AWS code...?

If you're going to do that, why not just run a 5G with some tube?  One test, 3 positions.
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 04-14-2009 23:12
Bozaktwo1,
Looking at the original question I thought it was doing 2 positions on the one test plate but after reading it again it appears the 3G and 4G tests have already been done, it is just the issue of whether the 3G and 4G can be recorded on 1 certificate or if a seperate certificate is required for each test.
I personally cannot see any problem with recording 2 positions on the one certificate,
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-15-2009 12:18
I see no problem with listing more that one test position on a single report assuming they were welded at the same time, were tested at the same time, on the same material, using the same process(es), same filler metal(s), i.e, same WPS, and the test results for each test position is listed on the test report. It is done that way by many laboratories and testing companies.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-15-2009 14:06
Here is an example template I put together... It is mostly lifted directly from the D1.1 annex.

It has not been exposed to thorough auditing for production because we use them for educational purposes.. But I think it is compliant.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-15-2009 16:38
Hello Lawrence;

Just a quick question. Are you allowing both upward and downward progression on the same test coupon?

I ask the question because I seem to recollect this coming up before either the AWS or ASME committee. At the time they said that the entire test is welded either upward or downward, but not both on the same test coupon. The situation, if I remember correctly, was the contractor was having the welder weld upward on one half of a pipe coupon in the 5G position and downward on the other half. The committee said, "No, both sides have to be welded with upward progression or downward progression, but not both on the same coupon. Two separate test coupons were required to qualify the welder for both upward and downward progression."

Does anyone else remember this or am I hallucinating?

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 04-15-2009 16:51
Maybe it was they were putting the root in downwards and filling and capping upwards which is OK.  But then you are only qualified for that so you would need to do the complete pipe or plate downwards do get fully qualified to do downward pipe or plate.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-15-2009 17:25
Al,
I was thinking that there was discussion here somewhere about this in the past, and the conclusion that I remember was if you welded the coupon vert/up then you could only repair undercut(wagon tracks) with vert/dn.....IOW two seperate tests to qualify both progressions, except for repairing undercut.
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 04-15-2009 20:26
John,
I think that we have talked about this in the past. If the WPS and welder are qualified vert up, then I will require that a WPS and welder become qualified vert down to do anything, including repair of undercut. I find no exception in the code. There is a statement saying that it is allowed. But nothing excusing them from any other provisions(qualification).
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-15-2009 17:31
Al, I've seen both progressions reported like Lawerance has done, I use a qualification summary sheet, if you will, and list all of the welder's qualifications on the one sheet. In my file I also keep all of the individual welder's qual records for each test taken to back up the summary sheet that usually submit for approval.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-15-2009 17:39 Edited 04-15-2009 17:46
Al,

The example I recorded represents two seperate vert test plates, one up, one down.  The individual tests are recorded as each project is completed (separately). Horizontal testing would not really be required for an all position qual but I like to show that they have completed testing in all positions.

Since it's a school doccument the real intent is to demonstrate student competence in all positions and progressions with a single sheet that a prospective employer may easily view.  I think it's compliant for that intended purpose. The WPS is an AWS SWPS for educational purposes and not really suitable for production in any case.... If there were a PQR (available) to back it up, the format might be suitable for production as well.
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 04-15-2009 16:46
Very nice document there, Lawrence.  I also would like to know the answer to Al's question concerning vertical travel.  Is your intent to allow the welder to perform one or the other? 
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 04-15-2009 13:20
I guess I misread the question.  I thought perhaps he wanted to know if he could perform two positions on the same QTR.  Recording and perfoming are two different things, after all. :)
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 04-15-2009 16:52
I do it like you are saying and have seen it done like that many of times.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-16-2009 15:00
Hello Lawrence;

Your format is similar to what I am using. The difference is in the test results report. I list the position, the test specimen identification, i.e., 3GFB1, 3GRB2, etc., the thickness and the bend diameter (for audit purposes for materials like aluminum that use something other than the standard 1 1/2 inch diameter). I guess the only recommendation I would offer is that you indicate in the "test Positions" entry is to indicate two tests were taken in the vertical and indicate whether vertical upward or downward progression was used to ensure the individual reviewing the document understands two separate tests were administered.

I guess I am sensitive to the information listed and the manner in which it is presented because I review so many test reports. It is amazing how often they are simply wrong or don't list sufficient information to know what was done. As an example; I had one report listing both E6010 and E7018 (F3 and F4 electrodes, an essential variable), but it didn't indicate what was used when or the thickness of the weld deposits of each. Most of us will agree that it is important to know that E6010 was used in the root and E7018 for the fill and cover (it is never a safe bet to assume that was the case). It is equally important to know the thickness of the deposits to establish the thickness range for each, i.e., F3 and F4 electrodes. Likewise, the report simply indicated the welder was qualified for a thickness range of X inches max. That statement by itself is not correct considering to different F numbers were used on the test piece. Another issue would be that the F3 used for the root pass (assuming that is the case) would be qualified for "with or without backing", where as the the F4 would be qualified for "with backing" assuming the test was taken "without backing". The same would hold true if the welder uses two different welding processes on a single test.

Most of use would agree that the basic form included in Section IX, D1.1, and other welding standards are set up for tests that don't include multiple F numbers or welding processes, or dissimilar base metals. It is left to us to devise formats that will accommodate such cases. I've developed different formats for different companies that address their specific needs. For example, my D1.1 test reports are different from my NAVSEA format and it is different than the format used for sheet metal.

The one thing I do that most people don't is to include a photograph of the welder and I eliminate any information for tests that were not used to evaluate the test piece. I do not include the information for radiography or fillet break testing if they were not used to evaluate the test piece. It frees up more real estate for the information I do include. Using a word processor makes it an easy task to modify the forms. It's back to the argument of the minimalist approach of just meeting the minimum requirements of the applicable code or providing useful information to the person reviewing the documentation. I'm not sure there is just one approach that is best or correct. That leaves some latitude to the individual responsible for completing the forms. Each of us will develop a system based on our experiences that meets our needs and at the end of the day that is the correct approach.

Carry on with the good work you do.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-16-2009 18:57
Good comments Al.

It is a pain to make everything fit on a single page...  I like the notion of minimal data...  Thinking about modifications already.  Delete unnecessary stuff allows for expansion on data that needs more explaination.

Thanks

Lar
Parent - - By James Corbin (**) Date 04-19-2009 21:11 Edited 04-19-2009 21:20
Lawrence I agree with Al in that I don't put what I feel Is unnecessary on my forms and targeting my customers needs. But I also do not list all of what a weldor is qualified for on the cert, sometimes its too much to list so I limit it to what the customers needs are, not listing it does not mean they can't do it, listing it wrong can have welders run amuck. But if you use the statement "record actual values used in qualification" I expect you to do so i.e.:

Current/Polarity - I see polarity I don't see current "where is the amps"

I would have liked to see the 3G listed twice under Position. Some people look here and not below as you listed it.

Base Metal Group 1 or 2 to Group 1 or 2 is not an actual value, was it a Group 2?  I don't think so; I counted this box as useless info.

ER70-X    X is not the actual wire used, a 3 or 6 would be.  It would not change the qualification range either way

I did like the use of the Bend Results boxes although a fail box is also useless info, if it failed there would be no certification.

I also would expect the name of the test witness and the lab techs name since they may not be the same person. (I use Authorized by for the company official who accepted it not for the witness or testing agency) Too many plates are welded up at shops then sent to a lab for processing and a CWI at a lab stamps it off. NO one really knows who welded the plate,  is there a WPS and did they followed it, was it welded in the position stated and who watched it being welded, etc. etc. etc.
I also would like to see a WPS that allows both up and down within the same parameters not that it can't be done. AWS2-2-GMAW is that one of the Sense program WPSs?

It is hard to get all the information you wish to on one page, I use a smaller font and have been switching all my docs from word to excel. (Perfect math on WPSs)
Just observation comments
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-21-2009 13:09
Good points James.

I reject performance test reports that don't record "actual values". If they list A36 or A572 as the test materials - reject. If they list E71T-X as the electrode - reject. If they list F4 instead of F6 for flux cored electrode - reject.

Maybe I'm a SOB, but I expect the test record to accurately reflect what the testing parameters were and the information listed to be technically correct.

I do not issue a test report unless the welder passes the test. I had a situation many years ago, when I first started out, where two welders failed their tests. I completed the test report and stamped in red ink across the section "test results" - FAILED. The letters were 1/2 inch high! Yet, when I bumped into a friend from another testing lab he said, "Hey Al, I have a couple of your buddies on my job. They can make bubblegum stick together. How did they ever pass their tests?"

I asked him for their names. As soon as he mentioned them, I told him, "They both flunked on visual! They didn't even get to the bend tests!"

He responded, "I have their paperwork right here in the desk!"

"Let me see them! They must have doctored the reports! I said.

He pulled two test reports from his deck and right across the bottom of the report - FAIL in nice big black print!

I pointed to the word "Failed" and he said, "I saw your letterhead and didn't bother to read the rest of the report!"

These two monkeys were welding with "Failed" test reports for better than two years! Read the damn reports!

So, lesson learned, no report is issued unless the test is passed!

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-21-2009 13:40
Thanks James

Thanks Al,

I've been working on making test reports for a couple of years now and I can see I have a way to go before they are top notch.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Multiple Weld Postions On WQTR