Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / clutch problems
- - By weldaboy (**) Date 04-14-2009 01:41
my rig trucks an 05 dodge 1 ton 4x4 dually 6 speed. i parked it for about 6 weeks and took my company rig up to minnesota. when i parked my truck it ran fine had no problems wit it. but when i got back in it 6 weeks later the clutch was stiff as hell and it didnt want to idle right. i took it to the dodge house and they said it needed a new clutch which seemed hard to believe since it was fine when i parked it. so i ended up sayin the hell wit it and told them to put a new one in it. that was 3 days ago and it feels the same as b4 i took it to them. so ne ways i was just wondering if ne body has had a prob like this or ne ideas on what to do bout it b4 i go get in a pissin match with them bout it. and the crazy part bout it is i had to put a clutch in my company rig while i was in minnesota so i know what a new clutch is suppose to feel like.
Parent - By Root Pass (***) Date 04-14-2009 01:55
My problems like that went away after a day or two of driving it. 2005 1 ton duelly 4x4 diesel. Sat for about 3 weeks or so.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 04-14-2009 04:36
mine sat for about 6 months while i was healing all i had to do was jump the battery and it ran and drove fine 04 dodge crew cab dually
Parent - - By pipelinetrash23 (**) Date 04-14-2009 15:38
i got a 01 dodge with a 6 speed and never had a problem with the clutch... but i do got one question for anyone that can answer it. Does it hurt the tranny to shift gears like a semi truck with out using the clutch, have had people say yeah its bad and a mechanic said no it dont hurt it. So now im confused.
Parent - By mongoose52 (*) Date 04-15-2009 02:42
piplinetrash23

It won't hurt the tranny as long as you don't scratch the gears, they will not make them out rubber next year. HAHA!!

Drove my ex bosses 03 and that was the only way I could drive. I drove OTR for several years.

Robert
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-15-2009 03:20
If You are good at it and can get the engine speed right it won't put any extra wear on the synchronizers. It is easier to do on the upshifts than on the downshifts.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 04-16-2009 05:06
if the clutch is good why not just use it instead of gear jamming
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-16-2009 12:46
Like Mongoose said, it won't hurt unless your trying to round off the sharp edges on the gears. I've done it for a long time in my truck(02' Dodge) figure it saves the clutch if I ain't using it but half the time.
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 04-20-2009 00:47
Shawn, your are correct, most trucks have fully syncromeshed transmission now days and its just a matter of matching engine speed to the gear your heading for. You need to pay close attention when down shifting though, you might spill your beer.
Parent - By tnhnt (***) Date 04-19-2009 04:35
shifting it like a semi will eventually ruin your syncronizers in your tranny.
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 04-14-2009 15:50
When you say "stiff as hell" I can guess you mean the pedal. The pedal is not the clutch.

Right string wrong yoyo.

Is it hydraulic? By that I mean does the pedal operate a little master cylinder which operates a slave cylinder at the clutch?

I know of a few occasions where the clutch disc has stuck to the fly wheel but that will not make the release mechanism any stiffer than normal.

When they replaced the clutch just what did they replace? The clutch disc for sure but did they check or replace the pressure plate? That's what actually releases the clutch.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-16-2009 12:55
Sounds like the "mechanic" pulled out his shotgun for that diagnosis. I'd raise 10 tons of stink about the problem not being fixed and being hit with the bill to fix it and it not being fixed. Bypass the shop foreman head straight for the service manager or the store manager. Mine acted up a few years ago(I've worked as a dodge mechanic-mechanic for last 18 years) I take it to dealer(truck under warranty) and tell them acting like it needs injection pump cause lift pump died. They check and say, needs only lift pump and I replied with my extremely sarcastic "Rrrriiggghhht", to many injection pumps replaced on these things. Drove it 60 miles north and on the way back it did the "dead pedal" thing again. Called dealer as soon as it did it and talked to the service writer who wrote my truck up for repairs and asked if they would care to try throwing some more parts on it.

You do have a hydraulic clutch(master/slave) on that, have you drove it for a few days? I've had mine sit for a week or two at a time and start it and have it make some funny noises or act different but after a good drive she was back to her rattlin' self.
Parent - By mongoose52 (*) Date 04-16-2009 23:35
I only used the clutch to stop and startin the big truck. My '96 chevy gas rig I haven't been able to shift without using the clutch. Seems gas motor is finacky.

Drive it awhile see how it goes, not satisfied raise hell!!!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / clutch problems