Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Mary Jane
1 2 Previous Next  
- - By BooTLeG (*) Date 04-14-2009 03:39
How many welders out there smoke pot?
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 04-14-2009 04:39 Edited 04-14-2009 14:51
if any of them do and i'm sure there some that do probably wont admit it in here. to keep from having potential employers or current for that matter from knowing
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 04-14-2009 09:19 Edited 04-14-2009 09:22
Good Point Shad !  I'd like to know the Honest answers for that question too !! It does'nt really matter who is honest. I have a Brand New Case of Cups. They came in Saturday
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 04-14-2009 14:53
I can pass your test all day, everyday, any time of day
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 04-14-2009 14:58
I  can pass the test all day any day too - as long as my allergy meds don't trigger a false positive.  Some people who take perscription antihistimines trigger false positive results.  People have actually been fired for it even. There have been lawsuits.  Some of the tests make you list all meds, which is an invasion of privacy.  I always do just in case though.  I am glad my current employer does not test.  That way I have no worries during allergy season.  They tested one time on my first day and that was the end of it.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 04-14-2009 15:05
i'm on an antibiotic right now 800mg 2 times a day and i will list it. i had never heard of it being an invasion of privacy but if it means a job i'll list the asprin i take hell i dont care.
Parent - - By OBrien (***) Date 04-14-2009 11:21
I can honestly say not me.  Never cared for it much and I can get a 12 pack cheaper and not worry about people knowing.  But I have been on jobs where I felt like the odd man out because I don't smoke pot.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 04-14-2009 14:53
I can honestly say not me i have never tried any of that stuff i get in enuff trouble with aout any help.
Parent - By uphill (***) Date 04-14-2009 11:33
Commercial license and random testing now. 

Before I dont remember (much)
Parent - By OBEWAN (***) Date 04-14-2009 12:20
When I worked in a D1.1 structural shop as a CWI half of second shift did.  It used to really bother me.  They did not even hide it. The break horn would go off, and they would step out the side door into the alley next to the line and pass the pot around.  The sides of the building were open so you could see and smell what they were doing!  I think that was in the days before drug testing.  Of course, they were all prison parolees and the company was paying them $8 an hour but billing the government something like $14 for their CETA "jobs retraining" program or whatever.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-14-2009 12:53 Edited 04-14-2009 13:03
UMM... Seriously???? We just received new style field test kits that are itching to be tried out. What one does at the house is there business, but the second that it effects them on the job, or they do it on the job, it then becomes my business. This is for sure a "don't ask and don't tell" subject. Now I have not had to worry about this for several years now, but when I did, I would not answer this question on this forum.

jrw159
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 04-14-2009 14:16
Here we have a state run medical program, and it actually illegal to fire someone who is on it for failing a test.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-14-2009 14:30
Hogan,
  WHAT???? WOW, please go into a little detail about this. I have heard of instances where the employee voluntarily admits to an addiction, and then is put on temporary leave so they can go to a rehab facility which is covered by insurance. But in all the places I have ever worked, if you piss hot, your fired on the spot.

jrw159
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 04-14-2009 14:36
As it should be :)

Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 04-14-2009 19:00
In my state you can get on the program for many different reasons. Headaches, nausea, muscle spasms, pain, cancer, MS, and many variations. A law was just recently passes that make it illegal to fire someone for testing positive. There is a list of professions that require you to not use while at work. Things like crane operator, surgeon, etc... But they have to administer an oral swab test as it is the only one that can test for use at the time. Use off work for these professions is OK. Also, you can not be discriminated against if you fail a pre employment test, if on the program.
Another current bill will require employers to accommodate those on the program by designating an area to use while at work.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-14-2009 19:08
That sounds more like a Dr's note excusing a patient since the Dr can prescribe it, I know of a few cancer patients whose Dr. prescribed a certain amount to use, however these people can not operate machinery or work a job where they could endanger themselves or someone else.
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 04-14-2009 19:30
No doctor can not prescribe it, in Oregon or Washington. In OR and WA you get a note from your doctor stating that it may be useful, this is not a perception.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 04-22-2009 16:31
You mean..they can't drive a train?  Or set-up an NYC crane?
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-22-2009 19:38
LOL.....
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-14-2009 19:28
Hogan,
  That is very interesting to say the least. What state is this? And what is the program?

jrw159
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 04-14-2009 20:03
Many states have programs that are each a little different. The one I'm referring to is Oregon (OMMP).
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-14-2009 20:30
OK, quick question. Can one operate a motor vehicle under this program?
Parent - By johnnyh (***) Date 04-14-2009 20:57
Sure, it's called Ridin' Dirty.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 04-14-2009 21:07
Again a UA will not work as evidence. The police would need to perform an oral swab test. This is because an UA will not show THC levels at the time in question. Only the oral test can do this.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-14-2009 21:55
I understand about the oral swab. So by this reply, I would guess that one would not lose the privledge to operate a motor vehicle, but could be charged with operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of a controlled substance if the oral swab showed evidence of this. I always wondered how the use of medicaly perscribed marijuana would coincide with the operation of a motor vehicle.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 04-14-2009 22:18
It's the same as if you were all over the road, but the only thing you had in your system was morphine. You still get the DUI. Here it is called "driving under the influence of alcohol and/or intoxicants".
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-14-2009 23:21
OK, thats what I was wondering. Thanks for the clarification.
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 04-15-2009 14:10
I had a roommate about five years ago that was on the program. It is amazing what you can do if on this program. You can have one ounce on you at any time, this includes the airport. You can actually fly out of PDX with an ounce in you possession. The state will not provide you any medication, but allows you to grow it. You can grow up to 24 plants with 6 of those in bloom (all of this for personal use?). You have to designate a grow location and can have up to 24 ounces at your grow location. And speaking of DUI's, he was allowed (had a court order) to continue use after getting a DUI. One of the requirement after getting a DUI was to go to treatment, he was allowed to use during treatment. I was amazed.
Parent - - By vagabond (***) Date 04-21-2009 02:26
I beg to disagree. . . . I've heard from a pretty good source there are cases on record where they have "extrapulated" if you will to provide evidence against a person in question.  Hey just to stir the pot (pardon the pun) how many inspectors smoke it???  HardeHarHar. . . . .
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 04-21-2009 21:21
From what I understand, that type of extrapolation is easily disproved in a courtroom. Especially when there are other more scientific methods available, at least in my state. Things may be different in other states.
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 04-14-2009 14:45
Yes seriously. The only part I am not sure about was the pay.  I think the government got billed via a tax deduction though.  In other words, the company paid $8 but claimed a deduction of $14 for the 12 week trainining period or whatever it was.  I at times felt my life was in danger in that place, so I got out of there and found a good nuke job that was a lot safer.  It wasn't just pot either.  The crane operator was drunk every day.  His knickname was 5.0.  I never understood what that meant, but they said it had something to do with blood alcohol content or proof in liquor!
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-14-2009 14:55
OBEWAN,
  No I beleive you, I have seen that sort of thing before. I could tell stories from my days of a rig hand that would scare the crap out of most people. My "SERIOUSLY" was directed towards the OP. :-)

jrw159
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 04-14-2009 19:14
I just really think it sucks, that we have to piss for a job to earn money, while your wefare and illegals don't have to piss to get free money. Can you say "Bull F'n Sh!t"
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-14-2009 19:31
OHHH I could not agree more!! I have to pass a drug screen to be able to pay the taxes that support these people. They should have to take a drug screen to collect it. I can say alot more than "Bull F'n Sh!t" about that subject!! LOL
Parent - - By Bob Garner (***) Date 04-14-2009 19:41
We do inspection dives where I work.  All divers are subject to 30 minute notification, immediately after which a drug tester shows up with the cup and the diver is tested right on the spot. 

About a third of our divers have changed jobs, not because they use drugs but because of the lack of trust this testing exhibits.  I 'spose it's necessary to chase off the druggies, but, hey, leave our good guys alone.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-14-2009 19:45
Most times, as with our company, it is mandated by our insurance company. The higher the risk of the job, the more likely it is that the insurance will mandate random drug screens.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 04-14-2009 19:41
Im sure they dont get the same rate of pay that you do. But then again, If you are happy with their pay then here's a suggestion. Don't pee in the Bottle, Stay home and collect a very little check and food stamps. Problem solved. Its a free country (so far) You do have the right to choose the size of your check and whether or not you pee in a cup. On my jobs YOU WILL TEST. I have had to let some Very good freinds go for not testing. We are still friends , they just don't work for me anymore. We work to API specs In an API enviroment. They set the rules , I don't. But , I DID choose the size of the check I receive by pissing in a cup. It paid off well for me.           Your choice
Parent - - By rick harnish (***) Date 04-14-2009 22:32
Looking forward to peeing in a cup.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 04-15-2009 02:56
Rick  Have you been studying ?
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 04-16-2009 05:15
he must be he dont get on here as much as he use to i hope he passes this time lol
Parent - By gatorofarkansas (*) Date 04-15-2009 14:17
Shoot I`ll pee never did have to worry where`s the work? Will travel
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-15-2009 04:13
  I don't use pot now and never did. I am a cancer patient on chemotherapy, and My oncologist hasn't suggested pot, but I never asked for it either. Fortunately I dont have pain from the cancer...yet. I had some unexplaned pains last fall, they prescribed a great big bottle of oxycodone. I was not impressed with it's effectiveness, but I know My Dr. will do better if the need arises.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 04-16-2009 05:13
i agree dave never had a need for the stuff nor wanted to try it. but, if they find alcohol in my system please dont tell my mom she dont know i'm a welder she thinks i'm a piano player in a cat house lol
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 04-16-2009 13:49
My Mom worked in a cat house.  Is that you, dad???
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 04-16-2009 14:35
i told you not to call me on this number ever again
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-16-2009 15:17
LMFAO, did he send you a text with his picture the other day? He does have your smile. :-)
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 04-16-2009 15:49
lol yeah i got it man he's ugly cant be my kid
Parent - By BooTLeG (*) Date 04-17-2009 02:14
you know for so many people saying they don't smoke this sure is getting a lot of attention for a welding forum...the last 4 reply's sounded like they were high...
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 04-21-2009 01:07
well looks like we are all clean cause no 1 fessed up thats good to know lmao
Parent - - By vagabond (***) Date 04-21-2009 13:44
I don't have to worry about it (anymore) either.  In my younger days it was a different story,  I remember when I first worked up north in the early 80's guys were smoking cheba in the smoke shacks.  But that was eons ago,  we had safety "belts" (like 1 or 2) and nobody wore them because you were immediately branded a wuss if you did.  And you know what we didn't have HSE guys???  And a lot of us lived thru it. . . . . For what it's worth.  Hell about the worst I do anymore is get on the Crown Royal and almost get kicked off of here for bein an a**!!!  You ready to go to work Shad??  I need a couple of welders in the heavy equipment shop up here pretty soon hopefully.  The pay sucks and the hours are long,  the food's terrible and the roof leaks in the mancamp but other than that it's a pretty good job!!!  Just kidding we may add some guys this spring (I hope) but right now we're still weeding thru the last batch of idiots that think they can weld. . . . . I'm about ready to go back to it myself for a while just to break things up.  I'm getting real tired of being in the office.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Mary Jane
1 2 Previous Next