Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Floor Deck Welding Acceptance Critria
- - By MikeK Date 02-04-2002 21:16
What is the acceptance criria for floor deck welding. If the project spec's and details detail 5/8" puddle welds. How high does the weld need to be above the decking when completed? The weld diameter can it be less that 5/8" in diameter? What are the acceptance standards and where would I found them. Would it be in the sheet metal code or steel plate code? Also, is there any requirement noted in the standard that requires the support steel framing and / or decking to be pre-heated prior to puddle welding?

You can email me at MKreimer1@aol.com

Thank you
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 02-04-2002 23:08
1. The weld diameter is as specified in the approved drawings. In this case the 5/8" is per the design.
2. The weld reinforcement is 1/32". (Applicable to square groove, arc spot and arc seam welds.)
3. No. (see no. 1)
4. D1.3-98
5. D1.3-98
6. No.
Parent - By Wildturkey (**) Date 02-21-2002 20:33
I do not know if you are just inspecting floor deck or if roof deck is involved in this to. One thing I have came across is architects are getting fancy and putting steeper slopes on the roofs. D1.3-98 section 1.5.4 only allows arc spot welds in the flat position (0-15 degrees)
Parent - By bmaas1 (***) Date 02-27-2002 06:52
The information given is absolutely correct. You will probably only do an observation on these weldments and not measure each and every one.
Also while doing this you will also probably have to check side lap connections as well(ie, tek-screws, button punches, etc.).

Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Floor Deck Welding Acceptance Critria