Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / ASME Stamps
- - By locolito Date 04-15-2009 08:46
Hello together
I have a question regarding some ASME Stamps;
1) I understand that the fabrication/production of any ASME BPVC Section I item (e.g. boiler proper piping) shall be done by an organization holding the "S" stamp, and the assembly itself of boiler proper 
    piping may be done by an organization holding the "A" stamp. What about the "PP" stamp ?

2) How is the fact concerning "Boiler External Piping (BEP)" ?
    - can the prefabrication and/or the erection of such piping be done by an organization holding either the "S" / "A" or the "PP" stamp ?

3) What scope covers the National Board "R" stamp ?
   - does it cover any areas of the "S" / "A" or the "PP" stamp ?
   - can an organization holding an "R" stamp do any works which would otherwise request either the "S" / "A" or the "PP" stamp ?

4) Do the same rules apply if the equipment of concern is a Section VIII design ?

Many thanks for your explanations
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 04-15-2009 11:04
Check this website: http://www.onetb.com/
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 04-15-2009 12:48
THe R stamp is for repairs and Alterations, defined in NBIC. However, requirements from ASME Section I or Section VIII as applicable will still be required, as defined in NBIC.
The A stamp can cover Section I and BEP, since BEP refers to Section I requirements anyway. The PP stamp can be used for BEP only. For myself, I have to say I don't really understand why BEP in 31.1 exists since its essentially Section I. Perhaps someone can explain this to me. I suspect the reason is lost in the history of the evolution of these codes. It certainly confuses me.
You can hold all of these stamps together or independently depending upon your scope of work.
Parent - By locolito Date 04-30-2009 11:02
Many thanks js55!
This helps, for me it's important to know the PP stamp is OK for BEP.
Regards
locolito
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / ASME Stamps