Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / AWS D1.1 PQR supplementary essential variables
- - By Wouter De Neve Date 04-15-2009 09:08
Hello,

I've a question about Table 4.6: PQR Supplementary Essential Variable Changes for CVN Testing Applications of AWS D1.1.

When does is this table applicable for you WPS?
1) Always when your contract states that CVN requirements are applicable?
2) Or when you are using a previous welded PQR and CVN was not executed and your contract states that you have CVN requirements?

This is a discussion often raised in our projects.
The people involved (including myself) are usually not native English speakers.
This makes table 4.6 a very confusing table.

With kind regards,

Wouter De Neve
Iemants Steel Constructions
Belgium
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-15-2009 12:12
CVN is required when the design authority, i.e., Engineer, specifies CVN has to be addressed. The Engineer also has to specify the test temperature and the required "absorbed energy" required to pass the test.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Fredspoppy (**) Date 04-15-2009 12:27
Wouter,
Both 1) and 2) are correct.  The SEV's, as described in Table 4.6, become applicable whenever your application requires that welding procedure qualification includes impact testing.  In the case of your 2) below, the minimum action required is that your weld an additional coupon(s) and do CVN testing in accordance with AWS D1.1, Section 4, Part D - "Requirements for CVN Testing" as well as any additional/alternate requirements from the contract documents, such as test temperature, total number of test specimens, etc.

When doing this additional CVN test coupon, care must be taken to insure that all welding is done within the variables of the original PQR/WPS.

Hope this helps.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / AWS D1.1 PQR supplementary essential variables