Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / drill rig question
- - By hogan (****) Date 04-15-2009 16:45
So can anyone explain what happened here?

http://nothingtoxic.com/media/1239752233/Drill_Explosion_Kills_Oil_Man
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-16-2009 02:51 Edited 04-16-2009 02:54
Hogan,
  What happened there is commonly referred to as "popping a wet one". This happens when the drill stem is being pulled out of the hole and the "driller" leaves the mud pumps engaged. This results in the mud being forced out through the "joint" that has been unscrewed. This mud generally has a high viscosity and is "thick" enough to put a pretty good wallop one you at low pressures. Best case scenario, you get really muddy. Worst case when the pump is engaged at full power, it can sure result in serious bodily injury or death. I learned really quick how to tell if the pump was still running or not from seeing this happen first hand.

Plus the hand was using a metal shield rather than the traditional "sock". When one does not use a metal shield correctly, it can become a projectile propelled by the pressure of the mud flow. Big piece of metal to the upper torso equals big problems.

jrw159 :-)
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 04-16-2009 13:56
Got it. Thanks for the explanation.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-16-2009 15:04 Edited 04-16-2009 15:10
Anytime. If you watch "Dirty Jobs" they did an episode on drilling rigs. Towards the end of it the driller and the hands set him up and "popped a wet one" on him. I saw it coming a mile away and LMFAO.

This is an one example of how it should be done.  Notice there is still mud that comes out, but it is not under pressure from the pump. It is only what is still in the drill stem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?index=83&playnext_from=PL&feature=PlayList&p=DC048E470F0FA6F3&hl=en&v=iz-2jb-8uuU&playnext=1

jrw159 :-)

EDIT: Here is a link to a thread from awhile back.

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?tid=17056
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 04-16-2009 15:24
i saw that episode they got him good lol. i saw the driller do it on that show black gold too lol
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-16-2009 15:32
Yep. Been down that road before. Nothing compares to a face full of drilling mud and cotton seed hulls. You tend to learn pretty quick about that stuff. LOL

The only thing worse that I have seen happen was on a workover rig. We were pulling the pump and the operator decided to use a wiping rubber, which is used when running the sand line to wipe the line, he crammed it in the stuffing box and opened the 2" line to "vent" the parrafin and oil. 2" plugged up and pressure built up. When it finally got to be too much, BOOM, it shot that rubber out, barely missing the rod wrenchers head. However he caught a blast of parrafin straight to the face. It filled his mouth, nose and under his eyelids with the stuff. He thought it blinded him. The rubber went straight up, hit the crown and shot out so far we were unable to find it. NOT COOL!!

jrw159
Parent - By KSellon (****) Date 04-16-2009 21:19
what am I supposed to be watching-- I don't think I wa following the same show...
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / drill rig question