Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Inconel Cladding
- - By welder5354 (**) Date 04-15-2009 23:43
Need a little advise, if somebody could share it.
I have a procedure to complete.  It will be GMAW/pulse on carbon steel plate using Inconel 625 wire.
I tried today practicing, but not good results. 
GMAW parameters i was using was;
Wire; 0.045
Volts; 26
WFS; approx. 400
Gas; 99.99% Argon.
Any recommendations as to what i should change in the above parameters to do a better job.
Thanks for any input.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-16-2009 03:35
What type of GMAWP power supply is available to you?
Parent - - By welder5354 (**) Date 04-16-2009 03:59
We have both the  Miller Invision 456P Pulse Mig 
and Lincoln 455 STT Powerwave Source.
600V hookup for both machines.
Hope you have an answer for me.
Thanks.
Parent - - By ibeweldingsum (***) Date 04-16-2009 06:41
Just my two cents but I had better luck when I used trimix gas.
Parent - - By SWP (**) Date 04-16-2009 14:04
Pure argon will be the major stumbling block for this weld.  You need a minor bit of O2 or CO2 to stabilize the arc.  With cladding you want to minimize dilution, so the tri-mix recommendation is ok, but since tri-mix contains helium to aid in penetration and wetting with short arc, you probably want either 1 or 2% oxygen/argon, or up to 5% CO2 for your pulsed spray cladding process to minimize penetration and dilution.  With steel spray arc, O2 tends to give a deep finger of penetration, and I'm not sure if this would be the case with inconel, but something to think about, maybe the CO2 would give a more uniform penetration shape.

A couple other things to think about.  A push torch angle give a flatter, lower penetration weld shape.  DCEN gives less penetration than DCEP with pulsed spray MIG.  20+ years ago I was involved with trying to develop a mechanized vertical down stainless steel cladding procedure with the Dimetrics pulsed spray MIG (the Metal Beam).  This machine was sophisticated for it's time with adjustable frequency to 1000 hz, but if you have a Lincoln Power Wave or similar machine, surely you can tune the wave form to make this process sing.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-16-2009 15:25 Edited 04-16-2009 15:28
Stanley

Great input on the gasses... I was hoping somebody with some experience would chime in..

In the meantime I found a couple of awsome links

One from  Viwek Vaidya  from  Air Liquide
http://www.wpsamerica.com/library/WPSAmerica%20Shielding%20gases%20and%20mechanical%20properties.ppt
This one is super comprehensive and goes beyond our discussion, but does provide some insight.

Here is more general data from Jerry Mathison, published for "The Fabricator"
http://www.thefabricator.com/consumables/Consumables_Article.cfm?ID=2067

Also   Here is the link to Lincoln's PowerWave software download site.... http://www.lincolnelectric.com/powerwave/  
Your Lincoln regional rep may have even more custom programming for Powerwave....  My Lincoln rep has been totally cooperative and will stop by on his rounds and update our equipment from time to time just to show us the versatility of the equipment.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-16-2009 07:51
Get on the phone with the person who sold you that Lincoln Powerwave.

Lincoln has a special pulsation program for that 455 Powerwave just for Inconel...   The Lincoln rep will come and download it for you (should be free)
Parent - By defaced (**) Date 04-16-2009 17:50
I did some work with this waveform for a Navy project and you will need to do tweaking.  This work was presented in Las Vegas this past year at the Weld Show.  We were working with 0.045 Alloy 625 up to 400 IPM.  The biggest problem I had with GMAW-P (we looked at SAW, PTA and GTAW too) was that the arc was very stiff and columnar, so you get great dig, which is not a good thing for cladding.  If you can feather out the arc, you should be more successful than I. 

We worked with two mixed gasses, 66 Ar - 33 He - 1 CO2 and there was good wetting but increased penetration, and Ar with just a touch (<1%) CO2 and there was low dilution but poor wetting.  You need He in the gas, but I think more like 10-20% would get the wetting without sacrificing the dilution.  You do not need much CO2 to stabilize the arc, with less than 1% we had a very stable arc. 

Because of the poor wetting, oscillating with this setup was very difficult.  We noted poor first layer dilution (>25%) with this process.  Basically at the edge of the oscillation you needed to dwell to get good tie in and give the puddle time to fill in the toe, but you sacrificed dilution. 

All of these issues, plus the Cr IV concerns pushed this process out.  We ended up with GTAW qualifying hot wire at over 10 lb/hr. 

When you talk to Lincoln, ask for the newest mode 175 waveform.  It is much smoother than the older versions of the waveform. 
Parent - By Fredspoppy (**) Date 04-16-2009 12:17
A picture, or two, of what results you are getting may help to sort out the problem. The plate surface must be very clean.  Grinding, before start of welding, to remove all mill scale, is a must.  Special Metals says that helium, added to argon, results in wider, flatter beads with a bit less penetration which is good for cladding.  Also, between weld beads, it is good to grind the surface of the previous bead, as the oxidized surface of nickel weld beads makes tie-ins a bit more difficult.  Get us some pictures, if you can.
Parent - - By PhilThomas (**) Date 04-16-2009 23:24
Perhaps you might try 625T-1 FCAW wire for the cladding.  Its simple - no pulsing required - and has higher deposition rates.

HTH
Parent - - By welder5354 (**) Date 04-17-2009 00:37
Hi Defaced, it looks like your gas mixture was closed to what i found on Ed Craig's site.
So it looks like i was a little off when using pure argon.  I guess the pure argon doesn't work too good by itself.
Will try and get that trimix and see what happens.
http://www.weldreality.com/clad1.htm
Parent - By ibeweldingsum (***) Date 04-18-2009 00:50
well like i said it was just my two cents
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 04-18-2009 14:00
I second Phil Thomas's comment.  You can get some nice running FCAW wires out there these days- much better than a few years ago.  They are less finicky and less prone to purturbations than the GMAW with nickel. 
Parent - By PhilThomas (**) Date 04-18-2009 22:06
<Set shameless self-promotion on>

http://www.thermadyne.com/IM_Uploads/DocLib_433_SP017.pdf

<set shameless self-promotion off>
Parent - By welder5354 (**) Date 04-20-2009 01:45
Yes, i know you can get some very nice FCAW wire, but we can't use FCAW in this case.
The company in this case doing the work is from the US and they have come here to canada to do repairs.
Their procedure calls for GMAW-pulsed or spray with 100% Argon, so FCAW is not a option,
unless another procedure is written.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Inconel Cladding