Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / AWS Brazing handbook errata
- - By KirbyWan Date 04-17-2009 20:17
Howdy all,

I just received a copy of the Brazing Handbook and have some errata from chapter one.  As I go through the book if I see anything that dosn't look right to me I'll post it here.  If there is a different forum this post should go in please let me know.  I am not a brazing expert so I cannot comment on content,  but will mention those few obvious typographic and similar errors.  Feel free to add your own corrections.

Chapter 1
Section 'Introduction' Paragraph 5 is written:

In welding, both the brazing filler metals and the base metals are melted to effect the coalescence of materials.

I think this should be written without the word brazing, since you don't use brazing filler metals with welding. 

Section 'Physics of brazing' 'Capillary action' Paragraph 2 is written:

In a most general way, it degreases with temperature as...

Should be decreases with temperature.

those are the only errors I found for chapter one.

-Kirby
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-17-2009 20:50
Send your observations to the brazing committee so they can make the corrections before the next printing. They will appreciate the help.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 04-17-2009 22:54
I'm confused.
In Portuguese, the language spoken in this country, "coalescencia" means the separation of two liquids that are not soluble in each other.   
On the other hand, it seems to me me that the word "coalescence" is employed in Para. 5 to mean the mixing of two liquids: the molten filler and base metals.
English being not my mother language, this confusion is easy to understand.

Al is right, you should point out these errors to AWS so they can correct them on the next edition of the Handbook.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-18-2009 03:12
Giovanni, the English meaning of "coalescence" is mixing as You understood.
Parent - - By KirbyWan Date 04-20-2009 18:32
Thanks to both of you.  I will send my comments to the committee.  Is there an email addres for the AWS C3A subcommittee on the brazing handbook?  I looked around AWS web site but didn't find an email and don't really care to write a letter on actual paper and drop it in the mail.  That just seems so 20th century :)

On another note, In the figures 2.8 through 2.17 some arrows are solid and some are dashed.  I think this is supposed to indicate something, but I don't see where it indicates the difference.  I'm guessing that the dashed arrows indicate that the joint is week for loading indicated by the arrow.  Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks

-Kirby Wilkerson
Parent - By kipman (***) Date 04-20-2009 18:40
The C3A subcommittee's address is: c3a@ll9.collablink.com
The chair of C3A's address is: cpaponetti@expertbrazing.com
Mankenberg
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / AWS Brazing handbook errata