Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / anyone ever here of navys scep program
- - By sk8brbd110 (*) Date 04-19-2009 02:51
I guess its a govt position without the enlistment thing.  I was the only one every at my school to recieve an application into the program and i wonder if anyone had any knowledge of it.  SCEP stands for student career experience program.  Naval facilities engineering command offers the program.
Parent - By 250-1500 (*) Date 04-19-2009 06:07
definately do it. its a foot in the door to civil service, the pay is good and its stable. when you become permanent you can transfer anywhere in the country.
Parent - - By sk8brbd110 (*) Date 04-20-2009 05:54
so what is the program just a civilian work force?  And how long is the training for a pipefitter 5 years like the unions?  And is there any down sides to the program
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 04-20-2009 16:32
As a civil servant you have a lot of benefits; decent pay, health, very good job security, and a retirement plan to name a few.

http://www.usajobs.gov/infocenter/

One downside that I have observed is that you tend to take a long time to work up to a good pay grade.  I think apprentices start out at WG3.  After your apprenticeship I think you're eligible for WG5.  I have seen guys go through school during their apprenticeship (outside of the required apprenticeship courses) and advance more quickly.  Most of the guys I know are WG8 by the time they hit the shop floor, and WG10 in a few years after that.  There is a hiring structure within the service which ranks you according to several different factors; prior service, willingness to relocate, cross-training for other jobs, and continuing education are a few.  If you manage yourself well and get an education (not necessarily college) then you may even be eligible for a WS or GS position, eventually (these are managers or supervisors, usually).  It all takes time.  Either way, good luck.
Parent - By 250-1500 (*) Date 04-21-2009 11:07
sk8 check your PM box
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / anyone ever here of navys scep program