Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Reminder to work safe!
- - By alumtig (**) Date 04-21-2009 13:32
We just had an injury here at the shop where I work last week, fellow was injured badly enough to be airlifted to hosp., seems that some loose clothing got entangled in a lathe that he was running. Can't begin to describe the severity of the injury however one can only imagine. I believe that he was very fortunate not to have been pulled through the machine. He literally pulled the skin from his arm including most of the muscles,as he snatched it from the shaft it was wrapped around. He's had two surgeries to clean up the mess and to insert  pins in the broken bones and will have many more including skin grafts to cover what is left of it, but they do think they will save it. This is the second major incident  this year, had another in January where a piece weighing several thousand pounds was propped against a table and unhooked from the crane. This guy lost a toe and a portion of his foot when it fell. Steel toes likely saved the whole foot. Some of us become complacent in our work and forget the dangers of the steel and equipment that we work around on a daily basis. I hope everyone will take a moment to remember how valuable our lives and limbs are and work safely today.
Parent - By Joshua Fanene Date 04-21-2009 13:53
yikes!!!
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 04-21-2009 16:23
Thats to bad. and the surgeries yuk skin graphs suck. poor fella hope all turns out good for him.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 04-21-2009 16:31
He's lucky that's for sure.  I saw pics of a dude that got wrapped up in a lathe all the way to his torso and then he finally got torn in half.  It mutilated him.  Blood, guts and pieces of his head everywhere.    It was a pretty big lathe needless to say.
Parent - By alumtig (**) Date 04-21-2009 16:40
I wasn't in the area when it happened but they took pics and it was really ugly,but could've been so much worse. Same for the guy who lost the toe. I was with him at the ER he works for me on my night shift. Wish I had thought to take a camera to the hosp. would have been great training aid.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-21-2009 18:19
Sounds like that guy is lucky to still be alive. I hope all turns out well for him on the long road to recovery. I have seen some pretty nasty pic's of accidents involving lathe's and as a result I have a very healthy respect for them. Plus it is pretty intimidating watching one (even a small one) wind down to a stop, knowing that you, your skin, and your bones will not stop it any quicker.

jrw159
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-21-2009 23:25
That is a good reminder.  I know of three people with similar loose clothing experiences.  Not fun.  Clothing is a very important aspect of our safe work conditions.  Beware what you wear.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By up-ten (***) Date 04-22-2009 01:18
Thanks for that alumtig. The details are good to hear because it needs to open our eyes when the ears don't hear anymore. Complacency is just as much a danger as the thought," it won't happen to me".
Parent - By rick harnish (***) Date 04-22-2009 02:56
I wonder how many times I have heard the hard clash of steel on steel where one of my body parts had just evacuated.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Reminder to work safe!