Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / WPS Qualification
- - By gregoryjstrunk Date 04-21-2009 21:57
Under Sec 4 Part B for qualification of WPS and Welder Qualifications it seems that both WPS and Welder qualifications have been incorporated into table 4.1. I can see if you were qualifing a welder under say position 4G it would qualify them to weld in 1G and 2G ect. But does it work that way for a WPS? Can you perform a PQR in 3G and 4G positions then make one WPS that covers 1G, 2G, 3G, 4G, 1F, 2F, 3F, and 4F? I guess my question is don't you need a seperate WPS for each and every position and joint you propose to weld? The argument is that table 4.1 would qualify a WPS for all positions and if all the essential variables in Table 4.5 were adheared to 1 WPS could be qualified for all positions in all groove and fillet welds. Appreciate the input.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 04-22-2009 14:38
gregoryjstrunk,
When looking at table 4.1 this is covering WPS qualification positions. You have to go to table 4.10 for welder & welding operator positions. Additionally if you look at table 4.5 (27) A change in position not qualified in table 4.1. In this table OH only qualifies you for OH and V only qualifies you for V. It is table 4.10 that allows the welder to be qualified in other position than tested in.
Parent - By Ke1thk (**) Date 04-24-2009 16:32
Greg,

I think you're right.

I'm looking at Table 4.1 of D1.1, 2008.  Let's say I'm qualifying a PQR.  I'm welding a tube in the 5G position.  I'd say my PQR would be good for all that is listed on the chart.  The only thing I'm not qualified to weld is CJP TKY connections and CJP PJP connections.  That is if my electrical measurements, or any other Essential Variable isn't out of it's limits defined in Table 4.5. 

Item 27 of Table 4.5, " a change in position not qualified by Table 4.1."  You can't use a PQR qualified in 3F to weld a 2G but you can use the full range of Table 4.5.  You don't need multiple PQR's.  That is unless I'm wrong.

Good Luck,

Keith
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / WPS Qualification