Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Rig Welder Insurance
- - By Robert48 (**) Date 04-22-2009 01:40
I am in GA and am looking for insurance. Every company I have called has not been able to help me because they have never insured a mobile welder before. I figured somebody here could help. I am looking for companies that will insure and round about numbers on premiums that others pay so I won't get taken to the cleaners.
Parent - - By ruero (**) Date 04-22-2009 02:20
I use Progressive, Commercial Auto 1 million liability, 300k underinsured motorist, medical payments 5k each person, comprehensive 500 deductable, collision, rental reimbursement.
This is for truck '06 ford 350dwd pick up and welder, $1146 yr. I'm am not full contract so there is more coverage needed for full contract. Hope this helps.
Parent - By rick harnish (***) Date 04-22-2009 02:46
Yeah, what Ruero says, or IM me, or Cactus has a connect. Just be sure to answer no to "Do you work over the hole"
Parent - - By 4JWelding (**) Date 04-22-2009 02:41
I use a company in Victoria, Texas called JHC Insurance.  The cost is around 950.00 a year.  It is 1 million commercial general liability with a 2 million umbrela.  The lady I dealt with was Vivian Moore.  Her number is 361-485-1900.  I set everything over the phone.
Parent - - By rick harnish (***) Date 04-22-2009 02:48
Yeah, Vivian Moore I believe is the girl Cactus uses. She deals with this all the time. When my current policy is up, I intend to get to know her.
Parent - By hillbilly (**) Date 04-22-2009 12:20
Glad to see this come up, as I've been "shopping" rates the past few weeks.
Parent - - By daryl morgan (*) Date 04-24-2009 01:35
hey joe, whats up. working?
Parent - - By 4JWelding (**) Date 04-24-2009 18:26
Yeah,  working in a shop in Wichita Falls.  Pay's not that great but it's a job right now.  Haven't had much luck finding any work to put my truck back to work again.  How about yourself?
Parent - - By daryl morgan (*) Date 04-27-2009 02:45
got on an 84" pipe job. paying $70. they supply helper and nothing else. all inside weld. 3/16 5p. finished saturday but going to start back up in about 10 days. the trackhoe can't keep up and i'm sure the hole will be full of water by midweek. you need your own papers 3g & 4g , i don't understand why though. if your interested give me a call. also got a line on a job in alaska, maybe. whats cody doin' ?
Parent - By 4JWelding (**) Date 04-29-2009 02:21
Yeah, I'm interested.  I'll give you a call and get the details.  Sounds like a pretty good deal.  Cody is working with me in the same shop.  We're both ready to get out and start making some good money again. 
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-22-2009 14:56
I ran across the same problem, calling big companies and getting the deer in the headlights type response. You need to call an independent insurance agent. I've got mine through a local in town near me but the insurance is actually from another company, something in Ohio, Cinncinatti Insurance or something like that. I have a $1 mil policy with a $2 mil rider, covers welder, truck, $5k in tools on truck, collision and so on. A new law in Tennessee, relatively new is you are required to carry workers comp insurance even though I am a single man crew I still need to pay for it. It did not used to be like this but with contractors hiring "sub-contractors" that were under the rules...actual employees because the contractor supplied all tools the gov decided they needed to nip that loophole. The shady practice of getting out of paying the employee taxes, workers comp etc., by calling them a "sub-contractor" and having them sign a paper. So, I have to pay workers comp....even though it will not cover me..... = $750/year.

I called a few places out in Oklahoma/Texas that these guys put me onto and they could not help me out here in Tennessee but were the ones that put me onto finding an independent agent. Price for my insurance........quite a bit more than others that I have seen but think it may have to do with the "must carry" workers comp thing. I end up paying a tic over $2800 per year. I did shop around, called a few places in Nashville(65 or so miles north of me) and I talked to the agent and we got to talking about numbers and I mentioned my previous quote and he said jump on that deal cause he could not touch it. Glad I don't do Marine welding, the question was asked of me, I just assumed that would mean more money.

I just called every agent I could. Look in phone book for indy's, see signs at places going through town and just call til I found my agent. Good luck, once you get your own insurance then you to will cuss the "hack" out the chopping your nuts off undercutting jobs cause he don't have that stuff. And possible clients saying they want someone with insurance only to jump on the hacks knife blade and help cut your throat.
Parent - - By Robert48 (**) Date 04-22-2009 16:09
Thanks for the info. I have found one agency around here that may be able to help. They sent me a 3 page ap, but I realy don't know how to answer some of the questions. I mean should I tell the truth about what kind of work I do or not. I don't want to ever get in trouble but also don't want to be killed on rates.
Attachment: ScottsdaleWelding.rtf (100k)
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 04-22-2009 16:41
as lengthy as it may sound why not post up some of the questions and maybe we can help you and Rick over the hole insurance aint all that bad last quote i got a few years back was 1800 a year 1mill coverage 2mill umbrella and that was over the hole
Parent - - By Robert48 (**) Date 04-22-2009 20:53
I added an link on the previous coment. This is the actual aplication.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-23-2009 12:59
Wow, what the heck kind of application was that? I did'nt have fill out anything like that. My agent asked me over the phone, arc welding? Mig? Do you do this or this and so on but not nearly like this app. What's with all the business about your business earnings? This insurance or taxes?

As far as answering questions, personally I'd answer them honestly and what you have to pay is what it is. If you leave something out and your out doing something you told them "no" about and something happens. Well, first you have it on your app that you don't do this......but your out doing it. You get the picture. If you have no employees and such put big fat zero's. just my .02
Parent - - By okwelder82 (***) Date 04-23-2009 22:44
Where in Tennessee do you live CumminsGuy?
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-24-2009 10:58
I live near Mt. Pleasant, south of Columbia....near the Spring Hill GM plant, well 35 minute drive or so.
Parent - - By Robert48 (**) Date 04-24-2009 01:41
What is the name of your insurer if you don't mind. Since you are in Ten they may know a company in GA that could help. I called the lady Cactus recomends and she could not help. Iwas out of her region.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-24-2009 11:00
My agent is Redman-Davis in Columbia, TN. http://redmandavis.com/

That's what happened with me when I call the lady out in Ok or Tx, could not help but put me onto indy agents.
Parent - - By phaux (***) Date 04-23-2009 00:42
What's "over the hole"?
Parent - - By EMWelding (*) Date 04-23-2009 01:44
I did marine welding for four years, 2 mill coverage, cost me $6,500 a year, put me out business,charging $85.00 an hour and still couldn't afford it. looking into rig welding insurance now, giving up on boats,lol
Parent - - By darren (***) Date 04-24-2009 04:18
it seems that if a guy follows all the rules does everything above board and pays all his taxes it equals broke and unemployed.
the system seems broken if you ask me.
insurance is just part of that system.
sorry for the tangent.
darren
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-25-2009 02:43
small tangent but such a good point darren. 
Parent - By Robert48 (**) Date 04-25-2009 03:34
That is my feelings exactly. I have never cheated anyone but it seems like I have a line of people trying to screw me. I have never had an insurance claim what so ever untill last week. I had some storm damage to my roof.After that I have learned they are only concerned about there self and their multi-billion dollar company not your house or your well being. Just their however many dollars a month they can squeez out of you. The worst part is the government says we must have it or just not own anything.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 04-23-2009 01:52
anytime you go to work on a well head or do a cut off you are working over the hole it's a live hole anything can happen scary? yes fun yes it's a major challenge especially if theres a gas leak and you gotta patch it
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 04-27-2009 14:36
Shawn

I do not know all the circumstances that you are insured for, but I know that you are not paying nearly enough for the coverage you need and the "buy backs" you need.

Even the barest 'third party" coverage should be upwards of 5000.00 a year to start.  This only covers injury and damage done to a "third party" - a bystander, or someone who is not part of the project you are working on.  Even then, you still need a "Waiver of Subrogation", "Under-ground Lines Protection", Fire coverage, "Explosion Buy Back" and maybe even "Store Front Protection".

To cover damage to equipment and materiel associated with the contract you are working on, you need "Inland Marine"coverage, "Personal Articles Floater", Waiver Of Subrogation, Uninsured Contractors coverage, Fire coverage, Explosion Buy Back, "Environmental Damage", "Demolition and Dismantling" coverage, and the highest Umbrella coverage you can afford (at Least 6 million dollars).

If you work over a navigable waterway, or out beyond the High Tide Line,and on some docks, you also need Long-Shoremans and Harbor Workers Protection Act Insurance, in addition to your Workmans Compensation Insurance.   If you work on bridges, they may be over "navigable waterways",  If you work on Railroad Right of way, you probably will need Railroad Protection insurance, which can usually be obtained through the Railroad you are working for.  (Most railroads will make you buy that coverage through an agent they want you to use, so they are sure you are properly covered.)

Consider getting an "Also Insured" rider, if you are going to hire sub-contractors, or you are going to do jobs with a buddy, who may not have the coverage you do.  Do not do jobs with anyone else, unless they are direct employees and they are using your equipment.  If they are using their equipment, you have an uninsured contractor situation if something happens.

Beware of "Insurance Ignorance".  Just assume that you are uninsured at this point.  Find an insurance "agent" who can get you contractors coverage, and explain what it covers and what you need to get yourself covered the way you want to.   Be candid about what you do or what you might do, because there is no "Everything coverage". Be candid about elevated work, over the hole work, hazardous locations, ETC. 

All this type of business insurance is based on a "base amount" that is figured on what your "Estimated Gross Income" will be that year.  Each year you will be audited and a new risk assessment will be performed.  The agent will tell you how much  more you owe for last year, and how much more you will owe for the next year.

Automotive Insurance coverage on your truck, does not cover any business activity, including crushing lines you run over, culverts you run over, telephone lines you cut, (Especially Fiber Optic Lines), hitting anything on the job site, and spilling fuel (when you back into anything and rupture your fuel tank and cause a reportable spill).  It may not cover workers and vehicles on the job-site.

If you do not own your own home, and are not going to inherit anything...  My advice --- go bareback. If you get sued, - Go Bankrupt.  Be very careful and do not get involved where risk is greater, or adventurism is part of the thrill.  Try to get included as "Also Insured"in the insurance held by the contractor you are working for, if you absolutely need coverage.

Finally beware anyone who tells you they are insured to the MAX.  Even if they give you a "Certificate Of Insurance", they may not have put all the workers on the books for that job.  The workers may be employed by another company that they own, which is uninsured or underinsured, but offered to you, on your job, as employees of the company you are employing.  When an incident occurs, you are left holding the bag with uninsured workers!  If you need to hire casual workers, and you cannot use your own company,use a temp agency, or a "Job Shop" agency, and tell them what the insurance requirements are.

Joe Kane
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-02-2009 02:17
Good information Joe. I don't mess with inland Marine and bridges, I'm not big enough to go into that and would likely be doing single hand if I did, then I could just show up and burn their rod. I figure if I were to get into any type of gas pipe on my own and things of that nature I would be checking into more insurance. I'm the type that would like to have to much than be diggin through walmarts trash bins for my new 52" sony big screen box home.
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 05-02-2009 04:59
"Inland Marine" is a type of insurance, it covers (in the case of a welding truck) the tools and equipment on the truck.

JTMcC.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Rig Welder Insurance