Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Should I get a AAS Degree or Just a Certificate
- - By rocky tharp Date 04-22-2009 05:18
I am hoping to start a new career in welding.  Is it a good idea to have a Associates Degree in Welding Technology or would it be wiser to get a certificate and build experience on the job.  I live in Houston TX. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-22-2009 06:04
Hello Rocky, first off, welcome to the forum. It is likely that you have the answer to your own question to some degree(no pun intended). I suggest to most young individuals(making an assumption here) that if they don't have a family or other things tugging on their time or pursestrings that the degree might be a good thing to pursue. If you are the type of individual who enjoys the learning environment that a school has to offer you can probably benefit greatly from this sort of education combined with the hands-on portion which will generally be shored up by the theory. If you're not a school type of person you may not realize the full benefit that a two year degree has to offer as you have to be truly dedicated to it to gain the most from it. If you can, included a bit more background about yourself and likely you will receive a great deal more information to help you with your questions and thoughts. Also consider using the search function on the forum here and checkout some of the other topics and posts that deal with formal schooling, apprenticeships, either union or non-union, and as you ask in your initial question, comments about just jumping in and getting your feet wet. Many of these questions have been asked by others many times over so you will likely find a host of information to provide you with some valuable food for thought. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By rocky tharp Date 04-23-2009 01:56 Edited 04-23-2009 01:58
Well I'm 28 and was just let go by a company I thought I'd be with for life after 9 years.  So instead of waiting another 9 years,  I'm taking the first step to a new career before I wake up and I'm 40.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 04-23-2009 03:58
Hello again Rocky, unfortunately your story is echoed all over the world. In my area that is like a broken record that keeps playing over and over. Once again I'm surmising here, it sounds like you got out of high school and went right to work at the company you figured to retire from.
     Being an educator myself, as well as having extensive ties to industry, I do support a goal of constantly working to attain quality education. As I mentioned however, you as an individual and your particular situtation have to work to make it happen. Many times a person will only have one chance to realize a dream or capitalize on an opportunity. If now is your time then you should certainly get after it. Just keep in mind that your education at this point in your life might also include other family members and those who depend upon you. In other words, if you have a wife and kids, they also have a vested interest in your education so you have to make them a part of it and work to form an understanding that all of you have to work together to maximize on your opportunities. If your family is involved and understanding of the worth of your schooling you will definitely make immense gains and teach your children valuable life lessons at the same time. Whether you end up taking a formal educational road or working and learning as you go, keep your eye on the journey and not the destination. I believe just about everyone who is on this forum will agree that the learning never ends, there is always an unanswered question, a new process, a new technique, a different perspective, so don't ever close your mind to the new and different possibilities that will come before you. The welding trades have endless possibilities and encompass huge amounts of different skills and challenges. I believe some of the other folks have already mentioned many of the different avenues that you could pursue. Very briefly consider that building trades have a vast array of required welding skills, manufacturing is the same way, piping and chemical processing is huge, welding material sciences and associated fields can be a part of the overall picture, inspection and quality control is a part of every form of welding or material joining, almost anywhere you look there is some form of materials joining that is taking place and you could become a part of. Keep on asking questions and continue to keep us all posted. Best of luck to you and regards, Allan
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Should I get a AAS Degree or Just a Certificate