Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Sealing a vacuum cylinder
- - By cecile Date 02-06-2002 10:46
Where can I find infos concerning the possibility of welding and closing a cylinder where there is secondary vacuum inside.
I know that EB is a solution but I would have one with TIG.
Thank you
Cécile
Parent - - By Niekie3 (***) Date 02-08-2002 22:54
If I understand your question correctly, you want to have a vacuum inside the closed cylinder once you have completed welding it together?

As you stated, EB welding is a possibility, but then you need the very expensive, very fancy equipment. Another option would be to perform TIG welding using a vacuum box. The aerospace guys often use this when welding Titanium. Try approaching your local aircraft repair industry.

Regards
Niekie Jooste
Parent - - By Kulkarni (*) Date 02-11-2002 11:08
TIG welding Titanium using vacuum box! Thats interesting. I had heard of and seen inert chambers for welding Titanium by GTAW.
How does the TIG arc work in vacuum?
Parent - By Niekie3 (***) Date 02-11-2002 18:51
I am afraid you are right, and the impression I left was not correct. I again swatted up my books regarding the vacuum chamber equipment for GTAW and found that inert gas is in fact introduced after drawing a vacuum on the chamber. (This cumbersome procedure being used to ensure a very good purge is obtained.)

You will therefore not have that much of a vacuum in the box while the actual welding is taking place.

You will have to find out from the users of this equipment what sort of a vacuum can be achieved for your type of application and decide if this is good enough.

As I said, you need to speak to the aerospace people regarding this type of equipment.

Thanks Kulkarni for helping me right here.

Regards
Niekie
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Sealing a vacuum cylinder