Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Aluminum Repair Welding
- - By Zeek (**) Date 04-23-2009 03:21
We have some 0.200" wall thickness 2219 pipe that we welded together via GTAW.  This is supposed to be a class A weld to aerospace specifications, but it resulted in quite a bit of porosity.  How many times can one go into repair a weld on this material before the decrease in strength becomes an issue?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-23-2009 03:52
2219 like 6061 and other heat treatable aluminum alloys are time at temperature sensitive. They are overaged by holding them at elevated temperatures. Their mechanical properties suffer as a result. The tensile strength, as welded, if done properly, is on the order of 35 ksi. The as welded tensile strength will not be as high as 35 ksi if the alloy is held at temperature for any length of time.

AWS D1.2 has a table (4.5) that tells you the maximum time at temperature for different heat treatable aluminum alloys. In your case, the time can be as short as 5 minutes at 450 degrees, 15 minutes at 425, 30 minutes at 400 degrees F, etc.

In the case of multiple passes or multiple repairs, the time at temperature adds up fast. The area affected is all the material bounded by the temperature ranges noted above. The "HAZ" can extend out a couple of inches from the actual weld.

You may have to consider cutting out the offending area and replacing the material with new and monitor your interpass temperature. Do not preheat the heat treatable aluminum alloys before welding.

If you are having problems with porosity, consider finding out why you have porosity and fix that problem first. It is usually one of two things that cause the problem; insufficient shielding gas coverage or insufficient cleaning or removal of any hydrogen containing materials such as oils, grease, finger prints, moisture, etc.

Best regards  - Al 
Parent - - By Zeek (**) Date 04-23-2009 16:33
Thanks for the information.  That's a big help.

For some of the other 2219 parts that we have, we have some thicker joints that we'd like to preheat to about 100 degrees or so.  What detrimental effects are there from preheating 2219 before welding?

Thanks.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-24-2009 02:20
If you minimize the interpass temperature so the weldment doesn't remain at high temperatures during welding, nothing. However, the aluminum alloy is going to be heated above the melting temperature with each weld pass. It is during those times that the overaging will occur. The more passes, the longer it will stay at the elevated temperature, the greater the problem. The time at temperature is additive.

The secret is to cool the weldment between passes to minimize the interpass temperature. A fan blowing cool air on to the weldment between weld passes will hasten cooling and minimize the time at temperature.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By mechan (**) Date 04-24-2009 03:42
Is porosity in 2219 Al a reoccurring issue for your shop or was it limited to this one joint? If it is a reoccurring issue you may want to check out the NASA white paper on 2219 Al, it may offer some insight into possible practice modification, ( http://klabs.org/DEI/References/design_guidelines/design_series/1205msfc.pdf ). If the designed part is utilizing 2219 Al for the corrosion resistance characteristic of the base metal, heat treatment is recommended post weld where one is able to. From my experience if there is found to be an issue with an aircraft part that one is not able to replace than there are usually predetermined repairs for that part. In the case that the repairs specified by the T.O., (technical order), for the aforementioned aircraft part have been performed than the part will either be replaced or further assistance is sought. When the situation arises that further assistance must be sought either from lack of a repair or all repairs have been exhausted than the engineers assigned to that airframe are contacted. One will usually have a work around approved by QA, (quality assurance), when approaching the engineers or in the case no work around is able to be determined at a local level one will be supplied by the engineers. The internet is a great resource, but I would not complete any repair on an aircraft part strictly on advice derived from the internet. Any repair I preformed that deviated from the prescribed methods I would want in writing from an authorized source. I can say with certainty I would not want to stake that aircraft on the advice from any internet forum because it is your responsibility if that part fails while that aircraft is in the sky. There should be some sort of point of contact for the issues if it is a production or established repair shop.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-26-2009 07:45
GREAT REPLIES by AL and mechan!!

To reinforce a statement or two:  If you are having porosity issues....Joint prep is a great place to look first....cleanliness is crucial and you need to be careful with your solvents as some leave contaminants.  BUT the second suggestion involves technique....no matter what the joint or thickness, with most aluminum alloys travel/weld deposit speed can have a crucial effect on defect per inch.  I have found that too slow a travel/deposit rate can often cause excessive porosity defects in all aluminum alloys.

AL    I know I am setting myself up here (but what the heck I will probably learn something)....I have to disagree with you on the recommendation on NOT preheating your "heat treatable Aluminum alloys before welding".  In some cases (thicknesses) this is necessary in order to start and conduct a length of weld with a relatively even heat input start to finish.  I totally agree with keeping temps down between multiple pass operations or reducing them as quickly as possible on single pass (especially thick weldments that hold the heat for long time).  It all comes down to your process sheets...do what they say. 

Best regards
Tommy 
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-26-2009 15:05
Someone has to develop the process sheet.

Al
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-26-2009 18:47
Of course.

Its 85 degrees here and sunny!!  Ice chest full of nice imported German brew in the garage....I am going to go write my process sheet for sanding the fins and painting the jugs+head on my bike project  LOL!   Have a great day AL...cheers!

Tommy
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-28-2009 03:24
That sounds like a plan to me!

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Aluminum Repair Welding