Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / aluminum content in mild
- - By joxer Date 04-23-2009 14:13
in a 1008/1010 mild steel,if the amount of aluminum in the material is at the higher end of the range,how does that affect thermal cutting and welding? We are having difficulty plasma cutting a new shipment of this material and the rep seems to think the aluminum content may be the reason. thanking you in advance.
       joxer
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-23-2009 14:40
Hello joxer, when you say that you are having difficulty cutting this material, exactly what sorts of difficulties are you having? If you have any pictures, a more complete description, type of cutting equipment, make, model, parameters, cutting gases, consumables, and other information you will probably receive a much better and more detailed response. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By joxer Date 04-23-2009 15:50
alan,
thanks for the response. we are getting a very heavy dross on the bottom of the cut edge. we use a thermal dynamics maximizer 3000 torch. we have changed none of our parameters. we put up a sheet from the latest delivery and started getting terrible cuts. the only way we have been able to improve it is by cutting at half speed. i am concerned about what effects this will have on our welding.
   joxer
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 04-23-2009 18:40
Hello again joxer, I would make these observations from the information you've supplied: from my perspective, excessive dross and a reduction in cutting speed are generally related to a deterioration of the condition of your consumables, this might be as a result of moisture in you supplied shop air, incorrectly sized nozzles, or possibly poor consumable life due to poor quality after-market consumables. As a test of materials versus consumables/shop conditions, try making your cuts on the suspect material and then make some cuts on known "good material" with the same table set, if you still notice differences then I would consider the material to be an issue. If you don't notice differences between the "suspect materials" or known "good materials" then I would start trouble shooting consumables, shop air/gases, or other things.
     Moisture in supplied shop air can be a killer on plasma cutting systems. Clean dry air will provide the best performance for the process and provide the least headache for both consumable life and cutting performance. Just a couple of other thoughts for you to consider. Best regards, Allan  
Parent - - By Fredspoppy (**) Date 04-23-2009 16:08
Joxer,
I doubt if %Al would have much of an effect on plasma cutting of a mild steel.  I have used plasma for cutting 2-4" thick aluminum plates back in the "good old days".
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-23-2009 18:22
I think I would start with a thourough examination of the plasma system. Air pressure, moisture in air, all torch consumables, settings (is the adjustment handle loose so it is not accurate).  Sounds more like an equipment problem than %Al in the steel.

Just my two tin pennies worth.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By joxer Date 04-23-2009 19:29
thanks all for the response. we just put up an old plate,did not change any variables, and it cut way better. We are getting the steel rep in here tomorrow.
    joxer
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 04-23-2009 19:49
Hello joxer, please let us know what you find when you get this sorted out. Thanks, Allan
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 04-23-2009 22:12
Out of curiosity, is this steel from China?
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 04-23-2009 23:01
Do SAE 1008 and 1010 steels contain aluminum? I've got the SAE steels chemical composition table with me and it says nothing of aluminum. It states the carbon and manganese maximum and minimum content and the silicon, phosphorus and sulfur maximum contents. It says nothing of aluminum, that's why I'm asking.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-24-2009 03:58 Edited 04-24-2009 04:16
Good point Giovanni. I know that aluminum can be added to the molten steel to help remove impurities, it helps them float to the top so as not to go out with the pour. I was under the impression that the aluminum ended up in the slag.

Machinery's Handbook does not list aluminum as an alloy in 1008/1010 steel.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / aluminum content in mild