Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / goose neck
- - By weaver (***) Date 04-26-2009 22:28
i have a f350 o8 diesel welding truck and want to tow my sailboat around.  How far back can i put my ball before it rides like crap.  I dont want to take off my boxes of the bed of my truck everytime when i need to tow it.  the boat weighs 5000lb and im going to make the goose neck trailer in the next 2weeks ..
Parent - By Iron Head 49 (***) Date 04-27-2009 01:10 Edited 04-27-2009 01:16
This probably isn't much help to you! I'm sure you plan on going back farther. My gooseneck ball is 8-inches behind the center of the rear axle on my 2007 3500 Dodge, I would have preferred it right over the center of the axle, but had to place it where the factory aluminum bed has the opening. I pull a 17,000-pound, 25-foot flatbed gooseneck with no problems. Knowing how well Fords can haul weight, and you'll only be towing 5,000-pounds I'll bet you can set it on the bumper and have no trouble, LOL!
Maybe you can experiment with a welder or two!

Oh and to add, they normally figure a properly loaded trailer only 20% of the gooseneck trailer's total weight is on the truck.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 04-27-2009 01:15
I have a 2008 Dodge Cab and Chassis. I pull a 40" Fifth Wheel with a 2500lbs. Tongue Weight. My Hitch as well as my Gooseneck Ball is mounted Two Foot behind my axle. It would have been back another twelve inches but I have a Dovetail on my bed. I have never had a problem with it set up like this. Most of the Welders I know will mount their Ball as far back as they can get it.
Parent - - By Johnyutah (**) Date 04-27-2009 13:42
Just a thought but at only 5k do you think it is worth going fifth wheel instead of bumper pull my boat weighs at or more than that and I have no problems.
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 04-27-2009 14:36
Mine is about 32" behind axle centerline, I pull a trailer that's about 16,000 lb.
I drug it about 2400 miles a couple of weeks ago. It tows real well but I have additional spring in the truck.

JTMcC.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-02-2009 02:26
I agree with Johnyutah, why not just go bumper pull unless your going to upgrade in the future. I towed a 50 or 60 model 300M back from GA with mine and a bumper pull trailer and had no problems.

All you other guys, I can't believe you have your ball set back so far! You don't notice any light steering? Mine is set a few inches before my axle(but don't own a gooseneck either) I thought for sure set back that far you would notice a bit more skyward elevation! :-) 
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 05-02-2009 05:03
There are hundreds of welding rigs towing trailers with the gooseneck or 5th wheel at the back of the bed. They tow just fine.
A goosneck tows vastly easier than a bumper pull in all conditions but especially with heavy sidewinds.

JTMcC.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / goose neck