Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / made in Montana guns exempt from feds
- - By hogan (****) Date 04-29-2009 19:51
Anyone following this story?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090429/ap_on_re_us/us_montana_gun_rights
Parent - - By PlasmaHead2 (***) Date 04-29-2009 20:49
Not until now, I think I'm going to move to Montana...
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-01-2009 04:43
Moving to Montana soon...To be a dental floss tycoon...Yes Im movin' to Montana
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 05-10-2009 22:11
Texas and Alaska are actively working on similar moves, several other states are considering it. If a state could go it alone, Montana would be one, Texas, and any other state that has either an international border, or the ocean next to it.

This move on the part of Montana has considerably higher ramifications than just guns. Guns are only one thing the feds are using as the reason for regulation. Damn near anything you can think of at a shopping mall, hardware store, or pharmacy has been affected by the logic of "interstate commerce".

This is odd coming from a governor that put this letter out:
http://governor.mt.gov/brian/wci112007.pdf
Then out comes this one?
http://data.opi.mt.gov/bills/2009/billhtml/HB0246.htm#About

It should be interesting to see what comes of this. One way or another, the feds will have to respond.
Parent - - By 522029 (***) Date 04-29-2009 21:47
This could get very interesting!!

Go Montana!

Griff
Parent - - By HillbillyWelder (**) Date 04-30-2009 03:09
When a person has the legal right to protect and defend there person and property why are we labled "gun nut"... I don't get it....but then again who gets liberals anyway
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 04-30-2009 10:29
The term "gun nut" and others are provocative words intent on invoking a carefully cultivated liberal demon. The same applies to the terms "assault weapons", "right wing fanatics", "hate mongerer" and other words designed for a negative impact on the minds of the general populace.

Demonization of any who oppose their ideals and philosophies are the standard operation procedures for both extremes these days.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-10-2009 16:40
I like how they say "would undermine efforts to stem gun violence everywhere." Here we go again with the logic that guns kill people, not people killing people with guns. If you took the violent criminals out and tied a hunk of meat to their leg and dropped them in the gulf for the sharks I'd say we'd have less gun violence everywhere. Hey, sharks gotta eat to!
Parent - - By Yung Buck (*) Date 05-10-2009 17:28
Well, not only that. But, if you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns. Makes no sense. Tie our hands behind our backs and expect people to do nothing? I guarantee people will start hiding away their ****.
Parent - - By OBrien (***) Date 05-11-2009 02:00
The real question here is if they take our guns and our second admendment will they be satisified?  No they won't so what will be next?  The freedom of religion and speach or maybe our right to a fair trial.  Where will the line be drawn? 
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 05-11-2009 03:05
DaveBoyer,
Nice flashback to Zappa..."if you go where the huskies go, don't you eat that yellow snow...goin' to Montana...yippie hi yo ki yeahhh..."

I'm still looking at getting a Cooper rifle made here in Montana. It's the finest rifle off the shelf, 1/2 MOA guaranteed and they stand behind their waranty. I don't care who he voted for, he did resign as CEO (although he's surely making a paycheck still).
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-11-2009 03:11
I guess We are showing Our ages.
Parent - By rlitman (***) Date 05-12-2009 18:41
Kudos on the Cooper choice.  Mine is well within 1/2MOA, and has a one hole test card.
There is very little else you can find "off the rack" like a Cooper.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 05-11-2009 04:23
freedom of religion: prayer in school effectively banned, many locations banning religious symbols, etc.
freedom of speach: FCC, ever try to tell a cop what he or she is doing wrong? also see freedom of religion.

All of them are already under attack. Nope, the line is not just drawn at the second amendment.

I suggest that you take a look at the constitution, articles and amendments thereof and compare them against what you see.
It has not just stopped at the second amendment.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / made in Montana guns exempt from feds