Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welding 416 to 304......
- - By weldhawk71 (**) Date 04-30-2009 01:07
I'm trying to talk an engineer out of trying to weld this combo and switch out the 416. The only reason it is being used is for it's machinability, which is being done post weld. A pqr is going to be done in which i smell failure afoot and don't want to be the target when it does. Any suggestions??
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 04-30-2009 11:13
We weld a lot of 416 here.  Mostly to Inconels.  I try to stop it.  They keep throwing it in my face that they have been doing it for 30 years with "no problems".  Well, I have been here for 5 years and am working actively to document the hot cracking occurances.  Now at least in design reviews they usually listen and will substitute 410's.  We are part of GE, and the GE design standards ban welding of 416.  On designs where they use it they get a variance or "deviation".  It can be welded in some cases.  We have some details where we make hundreds and hundreds of parts with no problems.  But then, we are making tube welds and not fillet welds...
Parent - By weldhawk71 (**) Date 05-01-2009 22:32
I showed this to said engineer. The part they are woking to do a pqr on is FOR GE!! Needless to say, the 416 went bye-bye upon further investigation! Thanks for the help!!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welding 416 to 304......