Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / cleaning the grime
- - By 250pipeliner (**) Date 05-01-2009 06:29
ive heard of people pressure washing welders, but im kinda weary of it. i want to clean my shorthood but dont want to get water into generator, also is it safe to spray all the electrical stuff like mag, electric idler, etc. was starting to clean it with carb cleaner but man thats a lot cans to get all that grease off! any suggestions or experience with pressure washing good or bad?
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 05-02-2009 01:20
i wash mine all the time no troubles just let it dry good before you start it
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-02-2009 02:01
Well, my story, not like pressure washing a welder but perhaps a good example. Back in the early 90's had my new pull out Kenwood car stereo. Removed from car, got to talking to a friend and set on the bumper of my Mom's pickup. It rained like mad that night and came out in the morning and there was the $600 Kenwood lookin me in the eyes. "Holy Sh.......!!!!" Mom's truck was a 72-73 F100 with a 460 transplant and auto tranny, floor board would get sizzling hot after a day of towing scrap. So we set it on the floor board for the day. Got home that night and went to the car, plugged it up and turned the key, pushed the power button and Yippee!! Played cd's, radio, everything worked. Had that stereo for another 6 years until some crook stole it at a car dealer we went to trade our car at(they said leave it in car and go buy cheapo stereo to put in car so I could keep my expensive one...apparently the cleanup guy thought it would look better in his car)

Anyhow, as long as you let it dry and don't put the direct force of the pressure washer on the electronics in my experience I'd say you'll be alright. I've actually let my battery charger sit out in the rain for a week, then the sun came out for a few days and hooked it to the tractor it was sitting on, plugged it in and no problem. 
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / cleaning the grime