Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Electrode to weld gray cast iron to low carbon steel
- - By waps75 (*) Date 05-02-2009 23:41
Hi to all, my learnt friends of this electronic class room. Could you recommend a welding electrode to join gray cast iron to low carbon steel for me please? I am fabricating a stair case using some cast iron decorative posts thank you.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 05-03-2009 01:37
NI-rod 99
Parent - By labib (*) Date 05-04-2009 18:36
Magna 770 AC-DC is the one electrode especially designed to weld all types of cast iron(including gray iron)and weld cast iron to low carbon steel. This electrode is suitable for welding shrinkage holes and cracks as well as very long welds. Preheat is not necessary in this cases.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-04-2009 21:55
While I agree with Joe's answer, I would also like to ask a couple of questions.

Are we talking "posts" as in main support? or are we talking of 'pickets' as in safety barrier between main structural components?
How many feet are included in this stair case?  And are you sure of the material of the parts?

I find that most decorative 'pickets' can be welded in place without using nickel rod.  But not all, and not if they are the main strength components nor if they are truly a safety factor.  If every picket is a decorative cast iron picket, then go with Joe's suggestion without hesitation.  If it is a "post" for main support, go with Joe. 

I'm just curious about what you are actually welding here because I have seldom used cast decorative posts on railings.  Forged steel.  Small cast decorators.  Small alum decorators (both of the previous with small steel tabs inserted in the casting to accomodate welding in place on the steel.

The use of nickel rod will slow you down considerable, BUT, if the parts are what you say then it is worth it for safety.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Electrode to weld gray cast iron to low carbon steel