Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / any info on this welder?
- - By Shooter71 (**) Date 05-03-2009 01:20
Maybe PTO driven? Guess I could call them.
http://www.epicironworks.com/monsterwelding/images/100_0438.JPG
Parent - By Shooter71 (**) Date 05-03-2009 01:27
Hydro drive, saw it in another pic.
Parent - By hotrodtodd (**) Date 05-03-2009 06:53 Edited 05-03-2009 14:20
yes it was pto driven i talked to the owner and he said it was a project and they never got past the auto idle and realized it wouldnt be beneficial seein as they are in the engine driven welder repair/sales buisness                edit: pto driven hydraulic pump to drive hydraulic motor with a custom machined lovejoy type coupling meaning several parts to worry about (2hyd. units, hoses, hyd. tank, coupler, etc.,etc,.).
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 05-03-2009 18:49
Like the others said they have more to go wrong on a truck portable rig.  Burst oil lines = big mess and fire hazard !  For a farm ranch feedyard dairy repair rig they work great put on a tractor with hydraulics you already have with the unit on a 3 point quick hitch skid or a trailer but still need enough hydraulics to drive without it getting too hot.  Heat is a real problem on those if the hydraulics aren't enough to do constant drive.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-04-2009 02:33
If I was going to use a PTO drive, I would go mechanical all the way, truck or tractor. Hydraulic drives have to large a PITA factor.
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 05-04-2009 02:56
Yeah think it would have to be really cheap before I'd want it.  I wonder if some plants would even let you bring on like that in there too? 
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-04-2009 12:03
Talk about hydraulic lines bursting. What a mess, plus what about all the watchdogs when they see that puddle coming out from around your truck. Heard some stories as a mechanic about spills from broken equipment and having to remove dirt, haz mat bags and all sorts of stuff. Never seen it first hand though.
Parent - - By Shooter71 (**) Date 05-04-2009 14:28
It's a cool idea, I love stuff like that. But really, I'd rather not have 6.7 liters running all the time when I can have a small diesel or f162 doing the work.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-04-2009 18:14
I just thought of that today when I was down in the shop. 10 hours of running your truck engine, idling and the soot that will build up in those new fandangled "EPA" certified diesels with all the junk on the exhaust. Rather run the f162 or in my case......my kohler....I know, the baby welder.
Parent - By Shooter71 (**) Date 05-04-2009 22:04
DPF delete on the way for me. Not like my old 12V... Wish I never sold it.
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 05-04-2009 19:23
Yes what I was thinking and the hot hydraulic oil is big fire hazard it will burn like hell when on fire and hot!  One bad leak burn your truck up and be walking home.  I've seen enough hydraulic fires on the newer farm grain combines, cotton module hauler truck and construction equipment and by the time we get there with a truck with foam ready to lay on it is usually done gone.  A couple fire extinguishers on board are not going to put it out.  It's basically a small oil tank fire with all that oil plus a tank of fuel and todays plastics on everything it will have to burn out or be smothered fast with foam to control it.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / any info on this welder?