Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Weld Aid Wire Kleener Pads
- - By Zeek (**) Date 05-04-2009 19:22
We have an automated TIG process at our facility where we push aluminum wire through.  One of my concerns has been the cleanliness of the filler wire.  I heard that people sometimes clip an alcohol soaked rag or something to the wire so it will clean it before being fed into the liner.  However, I was looking for something more professional and landed upon Weld-Aid's website.  They make a 2 pad system.  The first pad is red that collects debris and whatnot and the next pad is black that is lightly lubricated with some sort of chemical to help feed through drive rolls and the liner.  After speaking with representative, it doesn't sound like this lubricant chemically interfers with the welding process.  However, I was hoping someone on here may have had some experience with these pads and could say whether or not they worked well.  The only thing I'm concerned with is the cleanliness of the wire, so I'm very skeptical of putting any sort of lubricant on there.  Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Parent - By unclematt (***) Date 05-04-2009 20:25
Zeek;
I have used these Weld Aid products using Carbon Steel MIG wire and flux core. They did not seem to affect the weld. I am not familiar with the automated TIG process or its affect on aluminum wire.

Have a good day.
Matt
Parent - By 522029 (***) Date 05-04-2009 22:30
The ones I use are cylinders (rolls) made by a different company. Their black cylinder's (with lubricant)package says specifically  "NOT FOR ALUMINUM".

Griff
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Weld Aid Wire Kleener Pads